Considering replacing my Denon

stygz

I am considering replacing my AVR-X2100. I have had it almost 2 years and it has been buggy. Particularly with the Wifi, internet radio, Airplay. Most recently I have been getting minor flickering with my HDMI switching. 

I am considering Yamaha 860 or 1060 as well as the great deals going on with the Onkyo 810. It seems the Onkyo only has single seating position sound calibration while the Yamaha has multiple. I have had both Yamaha and Onkyo in the past with slightly better luck on the Yamaha end. I am driving a 5.1 system with RF 62 for fronts and RC62 center and Inceling klipsch  reference surrounds. Thoughts?

I found some really great prices on east coast TV website on the Yamaha's. Any experience from this retailer?

1 minute ago, stygz said:

I have had both Yamaha and Onkyo in the past with slightly better luck on the Yamaha end.

While I think Onkyo has ironed out most of their issues over the past few years, I never hear of Yamahas breaking down or having any real issues.  I may be wrong but they sure seem to be more reliable than the other major players.

Bill

• Like 1

Since I purchased my Denon we have moved. Our room is considerably bigger and more open. I wonder if the extra 10 to 20 wpc would be noticeable? I also noticed the Yamaha 1060 is considerably heavier than the 860. There seems to be a beefier power supply as well as better specs on the amp. I have to wonder if the is noticeable and or worth the money?

what is it you're going for? features or sound quality? i've noticed not everyone is concerned with a hi-fi sound and sometimes care more about things like features. if you go yamaha definitely stick to the 1000 series or better, the power supplies are larger. my big issue with virtually all the receivers sold except marantz sr50xx and up along with flagships like the denon 7200 are they just aren't dynamic. marantz in the sr5000 series and up at least sound like a basic amplifier when you turn audyssey off and use the eq or pure. the yamaha a740 in my spare room...it's terrible. no dampening factor, no headroom, it's all features and no output stage or power supply. if you get something with pre outs you will at least be able to run external amplifiers and bring back the dynamics. i think my personal favorite under $1000 is the marantz sr5011. it's just more dynamic than others i have heard in this price point. you also from what i remember have the ability to buy the higher end audyssey app and link to it. the SQ on this is considerably better than say a denon 3300 which on the same speakers just can not produce the sounds in as pleasing of way regardless of how much you play with mic positions or just turn it off and eq dial. that brings up another thing actually. yamaha has a better user adjustment with the calibration. you can have yamaha do it's thing then if you want a deeper midrange simply pull down 1-2khz a couple db. you aren't forced into one or the other like D+M group products 

frys has been running deals on the yamaha 1060 for $730 which also is a decent option since it has a full set of pre outs. yamaha has also been more reliable than D+M group from what i have seen as well. at the $730 price point frys has been dealing it off and on via the weeklies i would have been tempted to buy that AND an sr5011, listen to both and keep whichever i found produced better sound. or, if you're a feature buyer the 1060 would likely be the easy win

trust your ears and if possible demo and try until you find the sound you're after. 

• Like 1