any Bob Marley fans in here?

prodj101

hey, are there any Bob Marley/reggae fans in here? if so, leave your AIM id and we can chat maybe.

------------------

New music system:

2.1 using SF-2's (soon to be RF-7's), and an RSW-15. for amplification Mcintosh MC02105, B&K PT-3 preamp, Sony SACD player. pioneer turntable.

Computer uses Promedia 2.1's.

dont try to get justins aim, and if you do, and you see him come online, be prepared =) He only accepts 3 ims.... mr. popular over there. ---its all good justin, i would do the same... i like bob marley, but i dont have much of him, always able to chat though= sholnay = aim

------------------

"we only came to kick some a$$... rock the f***ing house and kick some a$$" - Tenacious D(kyle quit the band)

I have The Bob Marley collection.... It's like 7-8 discs spanning his beginnings to the end. It is in a special limited edition velvet box collection...

My fav single CD however, is the "Legends" CD..

Nothing like being in Jamaica....Sing along with Bob at the top of your lungs with a Red Stripe beer long into the night.... With a good Jamaican band!!

Songs like:

No woman no cry

Three little birds

Exodus

I shot the sherrif

Bobs mother was Black his dad was white. A lot of what he sings about and his fighting I feel on the inside was dealing with that. He married a black woman.. But really was in love with a white woman. Lots of twists and turns. And to die because of what might have been an unfortunant bought with cancer because he was playing soccer with unprotected shoes..and cut his toe..and got infected...Is even stranger.

When you go to Jamaica, as I have on several occasions, its really cool to see that integration, over time, of all races erases a lot of "Color" problems... And people accept you for just who you are. Even if I am "pigmentally" and not "socioeconomically" as still most of the natives are challeneged too. LOL

Good music touches your soul. A lot of Bobs still does mine.

I would be interested in suggestions for the TOP 10 Reggea albums to have in your collection. I'd chew on that list first.

I've heard some but never dug too deep.

Something like this (not my list):

Laurel Aitken: Pioneer of Jamaican Music, Vol.1

Freddie McGregor: Signature

Abyssinians: Satta Massagana

Freddie McGregor: Anthology

Various Artists: Reggae Greats: Strictly for Rockers

Junior Reid: Long Road

Various Artists: Trojan Box Set: Tighten Up

Dennis Brown: Golden Years, 1974-1976

Horace Andy: Prime of Horace Andy: 16 Massive Cuts from the 70's

Dennis Brown: Money in My Pocket: Anthology 1970-1995

KJ

"Solidarity"

-Black Uhuru

I have the Legends CD, or cd's rather. It is a great collection. Only one that sounds really good, the others often don't have the sound quality.

i have been to jamaica twice, first time our cabbie over charged us by about $50 and we nearly got mugged (well, we should not have been out that late in that part of town haha) and the last time we went there we all got food poisoned. But other than those two incidents we had a good time. sure is pretty where it is pretty.

i am a lover of steel drums. every year we have the wold festival, or something like that, out in down town houston. it is great, they nearly always have a really great steel drums band from jamaica. i just love those!

if you want a really fun reggae singer to listen to, check out Barefoot Man. I went to his concert at the Holiday Inn on Grand Cayman, it was a Holiday Inn now it is a Ritz. We had a terrific time!

I think reggae music is great, i just love all the emotion in it. SO full of soul and meaning. Definately nothing POP about it.

My brother is about twice the Bob Marley fan i am. He has a nearly life sized poster of him on his wall in his room.

You're Jamaican me Crazy Mon!

i love that Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

Email Me

i think... sniff sniff, yup, i can smell the mj radiating off of all of you, esp justins brother. But then again, maybe it is just a skunk...

------------------

"we only came to kick some a$$... rock the f***ing house and kick some a$$" - Tenacious D(kyle quit the band)

This message has been edited by Sholnay on 09-20-2002 at 01:59 AM

Mary Jane justin. If anyone's interested the great producer Bill Laswell(and bass monster) was allowed to remix some Marley tracks and reintepret them into ambient/chill out tracks. The results are amazing! Here is a link to info. I can't recommend this one enough for chilling. It's called Dreams of Freedom. Laswell also did the same thing with some early 70's Miles Davis material and it's just as good. When Miles was doing some really funky fusiony stuff.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

yeah, I don't care what anyone says, bob marley's music is someo f the most moving of anything ever recorded.

------------------

New music system:

2.1 using SF-2's (soon to be RF-7's), and an RSW-15. for amplification Mcintosh MC02105, B&K PT-3 preamp, Sony SACD player. pioneer turntable.

Yaw mon! Dreads are dqa stuf mon!

Anyway, Bob Marley did some awsome stuff. I keep hearing that he didn't die from cancer, but he just OD'ed or somthing.

I love the stories that someone found two new species of bugs in his hair!!!

Justin, I LOVE the steel drums too! The REAL ones are $2,000-$3,000, and need to be tuned often, at a cost of a couple humdred $$$'s. Other than that, they are really nice.

If you find a musician with a REAL steel drum that is WELL TUNED and ask them if you can play it, I can guarentee an almost definite NO.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

lol, I have one that my brother brought me back from Tobago for my B-day.

------------------

New music system: