optical vs. coaxial

jouyang

The guy from Bestbuy was telling me that coaxial will sound better then optical. Can this be true? Since both of them send out digital signals, how can you actually tell who's better.

btw, is there a difference between a $15 optical and a $80 monster optical cable? digital is digital right? is not like my cell phone could send out an extra "0" or "1" to affect the optical cable then why there is a big gap between price?

jason

yes, optical is better than coaxil, but also more expensive. and to your question about whether or not price difference effects quality, I don't believe it does. There will be no distortion difference in a non sheilded optical cable and a 1 inch thick one. The only variant for optical cord quality would be the lens, in which case, would have to be improperly focused to affect quality, but if this were the case, it probalby wouldn't even work.

------------------

New music system:

2.1 using SF-2's (soon to be RF-7's), and an RSW-15. for amplification Mcintosh MC02105, B&K PT-3 preamp, Sony SACD player. pioneer turntable.

Computer uses Promedia 2.1's.

Jason

I beg to differ from Prodj. Coax is better than optical (TOSLINK). There are many known timing errors using optical. TOSLINK is crap.

I can't believe I am agreeing with a best buy salesman!!!

With that in mind forget the optical cable.

For Coax, You are correct in assuming that digital data is less prone to sonic degridation you have compared to audio signals in regards cable resistance etc. For my COAX connections, I use old medium quality audio interconnects.

JM

------------------

HT / Listening Environment:

Mains: '83 Khorns

All Heritage Center: K77, K400 above screen, Dual K22 in Heresy cabinets under screen.

Sides: Forte 1

Subs: Dual SVS Ultra +

Screen: 65"x120" DaLite Grey

Projector: Sharp PG-M20X

Processor: Lexicon MC-1

2 Ch Preamp: McIntosh C-36

Many NAD mono amps (for now)

quote:

Originally posted by DillonW:

I have heard both mentioned as being the best...

That is because each has its merits under given conditions. When passing AC3 or DTS encoded signals, it would be VERY apparent is there was any significant problems (heard as dropouts) and since I DON'T HEAR any dropouts, you can extrapolate that they both do a reasonable job with PCM. Under normal circumstances and for all practical purposes, there will not be ANY perceived difference (expect for those cursed with those Golden Ears)! Build quality varies greatly, but performance issues should lie somewhere beneath the ability of (non-super)human perception. But of course, others may know better...

This message has been edited by jerohm on 09-19-2002 at 07:34 AM