trying to find the age of my new to me Klipsch horns

nelly101

Hey there, I've recently inherited a pair of Klipschorns, and I'd like to find out just how old they are.   I'm thinking mid to early 90's, but can't really find any info out.   They were a 1 owner pair.  I just brought them home, and took the below pics.    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Neil

0.jpg

1.jpg

03.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums, Nelly!   :emotion-19:  The Khorns are at the top of the Klipsch food chain for home use.   :emotion-21: 

Your 1974 Khorns are well known around these parts.  There are tons of threads on the Khorns in terms of maintenance, updating and upgrading.  If you need advice on amps we can do that too.  We can also help you assess their value, but if you can possibly keep them they are worth the most to you in terms of sheer listening pleasure.

Here is the thread on Heritage codes.

• Like 1

Yes, we all love to hear history stories.  Often Klispch speakers are inherited from an elder who loved them.  The new owner then re-discovers the merits of Klipsch. Not all heirlooms are spinning wheels.

My observations:  It looks like they don’t have consecutive serial numbers.  (Right?)  That should not affect performance in that they’re almost certainly use the same components. It is more for sticklers.  Maybe he bought a single and then a second. 

The “C” indicates it is a model without the collar between the bass bin and the top hat.  (A “B” type has the collar.)  A bit of a cost saving.  It is only a matter of esthetics.   

The “BR” means they came from the factory with an unfinished birch exterior.  Another cost saving.  The pictures show the birch has been stained and probably have a coat of varnish or shellac. 

Overall.  I get the feeling the original owner loved the K-Horns and was making some studied choices to minimize cost.  The sound will be the same as the most expensive ones of the day.

Please listen and appreciate.