RF63 Bi-amping

Carlosrs

I have 2 RF 63 with 2 rsw-10d subs, crossed over at 80htz, on a Yamaha RX-V679 with 90 watts 2 channels driven. It gives me the ability to bi-amp with the unused channels from the 7.2 back surrounds. The questions is should I bi-amp, would there be a difference?? Serves as double duty hifi and 5.2 HT.

Carlosrs,

Welcome to the forum.

Very nice speakers and subs.  A very musical combination.

As far as AVR bi-amping, the jury is still out.  Some consider it a gimmick that has no noticeable benefits while others seem to hear an improvement.  Though I never had the desire to use this method, it can't hurt to try it.  

Now with that said, and take this for what it's worth, I don't think your Yamaha AVR is giving such fine speakers the chance to really shine.  I once powered my RF-63's with a mid level Onkyo TX-SR705 AVR and though it sounded pretty good at the time, so I thought, the addition of a 200w/ch B&K amplifier unleashed the potential the speakers had to offer.

Others will respond soon and may just contradict all that I just said so get lots of advice.

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks for your help willland. What do you suggest I pair them with.  I am confortable with Yamaha recievers, maybe an Aventage with a seperate amp for the fronts??  Any suggestions on how to make the rf63's shine??

5 minutes ago, Carlosrs said:

Any suggestions on how to make the rf63's shine??

Put them on something that's got power.  Most AVR's will not provide this for you (keyword most).  Yamaha's lineup struggles in the power section until you really step up with some scratch.  I left the Yamaha stall years ago because of this.  Their stereo receivers are one thing, but their home theater AVR's are another thing altogether.  I demoed the RX-A1060 that a buddy has not too long ago and was significantly underwhelmed - he ended up returning it and going the way of Marantz.

As for bi-amping on AVR's...there's arguably little to no benefit.  You're reducing your WPC rating, therefore not doubling your output.  Because of that, there's no real noticeable increase in headroom, nor is there really much of a difference in SQ, since you're still using the passive crossover in your speakers.  It's just a fancy way of bi-wiring - and that doesn't give you much.  It can actually cause more issues for other speakers in your setup (particularly the center channel) due to the reduction in wattage and overhead elsewhere. 

Thanks The History Kid, very useful insight. In general, forget bi-amping and feed the RF 63's with enough power (150w-200w). Thinking of a higher model AVR, maybe a Yamaha RX-A3060, or maybe a cheaper model, with good options, and a separate amp for juice. Emotiva, outlaw, etc...

Really appreciate the guidance!!!!

1 hour ago, Carlosrs said:

Thinking of a higher model AVR, maybe a Yamaha RX-A3060, or maybe a cheaper model, with good options, and a separate amp for juice. Emotiva, outlaw, etc...

Both of these are good options if you are unsure about leaving Yamaha.

Just a thought, if you're thinking of splurging for the RX-A3060 ($2200) you might look at going all Emotiva - since you mentioned them.  The MC-700 is available for $599, and for the remainder of the cost you could get the XPA Gen III with 5 channels.  You could also get an A-5175 5 channel amp for $799, and come out under the cost of the 3060 with more power all channels driven.

Just a thought...

I use a lot of the net radio, usb, air play, bluetooth, etc... that my Yamaha offer so I would like to stick with Yamaha, plus my wife learned how to use it.  I was thinking a similar model with pre outs to complement with a 2-3 channel amp.

Would be great to go full out Emotiva though!!!!

You might look at this then with one of the Emotiva Amps.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa860bl/yamaha-rx-a860-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

The XPA would be your best bet, providing you 250 WPC all channels driven (x5).  The 5 channel one is $1599.

The A-5175 would give you 125 WPC all channels driven (x5).

By contrast, the RX-A3060 is rated at 150 WPC two channels driven.  It is likely much lower all channels driven.

I think you are spot on, this is exactly what I should do!! Better all around performance, keep my most used features, not spend a ton and can expand power amps as needed!!!

Thank you very much for all your help, i really appreaciate it!!