Needle deal alert !!

NOSValves

My Definition of audiophile " someone who will go to no ends to achieve every last improvement in sound no matter what the trouble or cost" just to make it clear. I don't throw this word around meaning it to be a insult. To each his own. I guess I'm just a Mid Fi kind of guy but happy all the same Smile.gif

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 09-25-2002 at 08:45 PM

Mobile,

I get excited about getting inside a piece of equipment and making it better than the original Bean counters would allow the engineers to do when they were originally built. But anymore I'm just not getting much improvement over my current setup. Maybe the High Dollar route is where I should go but I seriously don't think it will do that much for me based on what Tim said about his listening comparision as far as amps go. I still would have to find a local person or shop even if I have to drive to Detroit 60 miles away and audition a expensive turn table against my own to prove to me that it would truely make that much difference it just sounds suspect to me. I truely belieeve that at least 90% of the sound comes from the Cartridge/stylus Combo. If your in between tracks and your not hearing anything radiating from motor noise or whatever I just can't see where any difference to offset the cost could come in to justify it. I still say put your money in the cartridge first !!

Craig

Craig,

May I suggest you make that 60 mile drive after doing a bit of research about turntables. Here in CA, a 60 mile drive is just an hour on the road in most places, and a piece of cake for most people. The nearest high end salon for me is 30 miles away, with the next being 40. The fact that you are not getting any improvement with your current setup should suggest something. I'm not suggesting the only option is spending megabucks. You've probably got enough in three systems that you're not getting any improvements with, to cover the cost of upgrading to another level with at least one system. That's all up to you. Music is more than db level, and music enjoyment really is more than volume. Vinyl playback quality is more than the cartridge.

Klipsch out.

This message has been edited by jazman on 09-26-2002 at 04:10 AM

You can suggest its not a problem. Its when you assume the problem arises. I'm a real hard sell on high dollar items because I just don't believe there is value for the small improvement over mid priced items. I believe in quality completely I just don't think quality and price go hand in hand. I taught many a Drag racers a bitter lesson in Drag racing. I can't count high enough the cars I beat that had ten times the money I spent invested in them. Its not what you spend it how you spend it! This was very true in Drag Racing and I think this holds true in almost every aspect of any hobby.

Craig

Ah, the turntable forum,, good. Ok all, what I have now, I have not used in a decade. It is an old Technics Sl-BD22 purchased when I was in school and poor.

Pickering needle. I have a patient by the same name and when I asked, he is related to "Pickering".Smile.gif

I also see the sister of the famed astronomer "HUBBLE"

She is 98 and still kicking!!Smile.gif She says her brother got the brains in the family and married into money!!!Smile.gif Cute lady. El Paso is a place to retire for alot of folks. Dry, moderate temps ect. Lots of germans here. Maybe lots of telefunken's around and I just don't know it??

Oh well got side tracked there.

What would be a "nice" TT for me? Don't want a high end model since my vinyl selection is not as large as the rest but I do have choice vinyl.

Price range, well.. give me the options and I'll decide. Like I have mentioned before, I guess this is my midlife crisis? Not seeking questionable women but I am indulging myself finally in something I have always wanted toSmile.gif!! AUDIO!

Bryan

This is always a scary thread topic. You get the ones that say a TT is a TT....others that like direct drive.....others that feel belt drive is the way to go due to motor isolation.... and to be honest, few that have really tried many quality tables to compare. My view? A good turntable makes a HUGE difference in sound and will net major improvements.

Do a search in the 2 channel archives for the suggestions. There are many.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Read some threads, Ok you engineers out there.

Need a turntable that "levitates" and has small magnets mounted around the circumference of the platter/platen??? The platen will be computer accelerated and controlled to the various LP rpm's. No belts, no gears! Only moving part will be the Platten. Hope that is what is called?

Hey, I better patent this.................