Needle deal alert !!

NOSValves

I found a place that is gives great deals on a semi audiophile grade needle the Shure M97xE the price includes a extra stylus all for $100 they are not even listing this price on there web sight you have to email them for a quote. I bet Shure has something to do with that ! Linkage

I think I'm going to grab one. Your basically getting the extra needle for free. thise are $60 to $75 everywhere. Danocaster told me when I was at his place its a descent needle.

Craig

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 09-24-2002 at 06:07 PM

If anyone knows where I can get a cartridge or needle and a din to RCA cable for my Bang & Olufson TT (I think the model was the 4001, or 4002) can you steer my in that direction?

------------------

Andy

78 Khorns w/ALK (20' apart!)

Coming soon: Scott 222D

Audire Difet 3 Preamp

Adcom GFA 535 II

NAD 4130 Tuner

Marantz CD 63SE

Pioneer DV 434s>c>

The best prices I have seen for all things Shure is www.garage-a-records.com . Not only that but the lady's that own the place are very nice to deal with as well.

I currently have a Shure V15 Type III L-M with a used stylus, and a V15 Type IV with a brand new VN35MR stylus on it (never used). I have been thinking of posting these cartridges for sale on eBay, so if anyone is interested, let me know.

My present cartridge on the Dual CS-5000 is the V15 Type V-MR and I am very happy with it. But you know how that goes. Smile.gif

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 09-24-2002 at 06:50 AM

Thanks Craig... I'm not too familiar with that cartridge but I think you should step up to the V15VxMR or the V15V-MR. You can find these used on eBay for an excellent price and then send Shure the old stylus, and they will mail you a brand new stylus in return for just $20. In essence, a brand new cartridge...

Mike

Hmm didn't know this do they do this with all the stylus ??

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 09-24-2002 at 05:35 PM

Go to their stylus chart and it shows what they will replace old stylus's with...

http://www.shure.com/selectionguides/xrefphono.html

To get an idea of the costs of these styli, scroll down to the bottom of this page and look at the Shure prices...

http://www.garage-a-records.com/needle2.html

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 09-24-2002 at 05:44 PM

They don't say it on their website. Call Barbara Laboy in service at 1-800-516-2525 and tell her what cartridge you have, and that you have a bad stylus (you don't need to tell her what's wrong with it) that needs replacing. Let her know you heard you could trade in the old one for a new one for $20, and wanted to know what stylus you would get for the old cartridge.

I have done this 3 times now (2 VN5MR'and a VN35MR)...

Mike

Mike,

That's awesome !!!! Thanks I will watch for the cartridge you speak of on ebay. I already ordered the one above but I have 3 TT so what the heck. I also have some old Shure cartridges that need new needles I will try this.

Craig

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 09-24-2002 at 06:08 PM

Check the stylus price list first because they do sell some styli that don't cost $20. The VN5MR is $125 so it's a real good deal. I think the VN35MR for the Type III and IV cartridges retails for $85 and the N97HE is like $55. If you need any of these it's an excellent deal.

If you buy a used cartridge, you always want to replace the stylus because you don't know it's prior history. This was advice given to me on the AA...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Oh I agree I never use alien stylus for the same reason. I have aquired alot of old shures and was going to buy stylus for them. But ...... LOL !! I know they have one because I emailed them about it and they gave me the replacement number but its only $35 but still cheaper this way. I'm actaully using a Stanton 681A right now and its alright but want something better but you know me Cheap Cheap Cheap LOL !!!

Craig

Craig,

I hate to seem as if I'm attempting cleaning out your pockets, but have you considered that maybe one high quality turntable and high quality cartridge could return more musical enjoyment and reward than many middle of the road TT's and cartridges. I know each of us must do what seems best for his/her own tastes and budget, but a more focused approach could yield greater rewards. "Less can be more", when properly applied!

Food for thought.

Klipsch out.

Jazzman,

I hear what your saying. But I have more than one system in my house and also my Scott 299 has previsions for 2 TT at once so I can have 1 album playing and throw the switch for pickup 2 and play the next album already qued up and ready. I think the setup I have now sounds pretty darn good and there is no way I will go down the Audiophile $$ route that most of you decide to follow. I just think its mostly hype and the differences are so small that they could never justify the expense to ME for the little difference I believe it would return for the music I listen too. Just being a realist here I don't listen to classical , Opera , Jazz or any highly refined music so why bother. I started this quest wanting better sound because I wasn't satisfied with my system. I am now very satisfied with my system and all my freinds are stunned by it !!! I must be doing something right Smile.gif .

Also right now I'm using a Dual CS 504 turn table. Manual Belt drive its not super audiophile but tell me as long as there is no motor noise then to me the sound really comes from the needle wouldn't you say ? I mean how the heck can there be much improvement beyond the needle to play 70's and 80's rock and roll seriously I believe very little !!! Same goes for high dollar amps too !!!! The difference are going to be way to small to justify the expense. Besides I have less in the 4 turntables then most of you guy's have in one cartridge LOL !!!

Craig,

There's more than hype involved with a quality vinyl setup with a quality turntable, arm and cartridge. The differences are more than small. If you're not interested in finding out, I respect your right not to do so. You should however discontinue your sour grapes approach to things you have no knowledge of, or unwilling to investigate. Silly me, to be under the impression that most of us are here to learn? I certainly do not consider myself an "Audiophile", but whatever floats your boat........."how the heck can there be much improvement beyond the needle".....?????

Whatever!!??

Klipsch out.

Jazzman,

I'm not basing this opinion on nothing ! I have 4 turn tables ranging in quality and different setups although not Audiophile quality the best is a Dual is by far not a bad TT . I have these setup side by side hooked to the same amp and have rolled needles and find that the biggest difference is in the needle. Believe what you want. I'm not saying that there isn't a difference if you read I tried to make that clear I mean there isn't a major difference for the music I listen too at the levels I enjoy !! I'm sure with more refined music there might be but I just don't think its worth it to me is all. To each his own.

Craig

I have over 3000 rock records from 60s, 70s, Indie, to garage, to acid, to lo-fi, to noise bands, to punk... One of the biggest upgrades I ever did for my ROCK collection was getting a high quality TT, arm, and cartridge. To be honest, it actually did more to reveal my music than almost anything, right up with the switch from solid state to tubes. My first high output moving coil cartridge combined with the ultra simple, bare bones Linn LP-12 table brought my rock recordings to life causing me to pull out almost EVERY favorite record I owned all over again. The difference a great table, arm, and cartridge makes is HUGE. I cant stress this enough.

"Audiophile" is an overused word but it does come to play with some. Yet I dont see too many that fit the bill within this forum, thankfully. No one here is just after throwing money into their systems or looking for the best name in gear without the performance or listening to bad music recorded well, just to HEAR the equipment, this last case being one of the main distinctions between the certifiable audiophile vs someone that loves music and wants to get the most out of it.

One of the things that impressed me about this place is the LACK of "audiophile" type thought. Yet sadly, just the mention of highly engineered equipment that costs over a certain amount, yields "audiophile" status. And if you attempt to articulate the differences in print, so others can get an idea of these differences, using adjectives that best describe what you are experiencing, you are labeled audiophile as well. This is simply reverse snobbery, and just as bad as the Audiophile clown who scowls at vintage tube amps, thinking only mega-buck solid state can achieve State of the Art sound. Neither is close to the truth. Neither exhibits an open minded attitude, either.

One of the things that strikes me about this place is the amount of people that want to try new things and learn about all the gear options, from vintage bargains that deliver GREAT sound to great analog that bring the reproduction to a new level.

This openness to try new things, to mix the old with the new, to hear new music, to try new options, to use their own ears to discern, to keep an OPEN mind, and to remain CURIOUS is one of the reasons I come back here. No die hard stereotypical "audiophile" would have an open enough mind to try many of these questionable options. In fact, the only real snobbery I can ascertain is of the REVERSE kind that looks down on others for trying gear out of a certain niche or price point. The labeling of audiophile is just as snobbish as the opposite, and I see this as more prevalent than the other way around. NO ONE here, besides The Ears looks down on GREAT results achieved with less than established means. Many of the guys with better gear also have received, and lauded, cheap gear that brought great sound, like the vintage tube amps.

On the other hand, as one that has owned all sorts of lo-fi to hi-end gear, there are major differences but PRICE is not always the best indicator, or even an indicator at all. I have several turntables and come from a band, recording, and DJ background (8 years as a DJ, station engineer, production head, music director). I have owned pro equipment, great gear on the cheap, hi-end $$$ gear, tubes, solid state, and many things in between. I close my mind off to NOTHING and if I find a $75 component that brings it all home, even with mediocre specs/measurements, I am ALL for it. On the other hand, I am just as open to the other extreme, if it brings the level up another notch that elicits even more emotional response from my music.

One of the things that annoys me the most is a basic SHUTTING off of the mind, and an ignorance to new ideas or ways to skin a cat. It is the ability to be OPEN to all options, regardless of preconceived notions, withholding judgment until experience and knowledge is gained, all the while open to new avenues that bring learning and understanding, pushing your experience to better understand the WHOLE picture.

I have seen many here try all sorts of options from first time tube users, to forays into vinyl, to vintage gear, to 3w amplifiers etc. Many of these things are NOT conventional wisdom and push the boundaries of preconceived notions. I only find troubling the few that really turn OFF the new, refusing to explore and keep an open mind, staying within their own niche, whether it be music or stereo equipment.

Frankly, I wouldnt even come in here anymore if this place was only filled with the latter closed minded variety. Most of my enjoyment in this forum is watching others push. And 99% of my arguments come from ones that refuse to keep an open mind or stand against options that so far have remained outside of their realm of experience. To discount the old or new, the expensive or cheap, the tried or cutting edge, is closing oneself off to change and becoming entrenched in a de facto form of snobbery that is much more damaging in the long run.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>