Do carpeet spike really make a difference in sound?

PHIL O

The spikes also keep the cabinets from rocking back and forth when bass notes are played. The rocking distance is very small but when they do rock it detracts from actually pushing the air forward.

Think of it as recoil from gun shooting. If your body didn't move back from the recoil the bullet would travel faster and further because less energy is being absorbed into it's base-support. If it were on a stress graph the firmly mounted support would have a definite spike where the non-firmly mounted support would have a smoother rise and fall.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

Everything everyone said makes sense, but I did it and I can't tell a difference.

------------------

27" 3 line digital comb filter JVC TV

Denon AVR-2802 Receiver

Denon CDM-270 CD Player

Aiwa DVD Player (sucks)

Klipsch RF3-II's Fronts

Klipsch RC3-II Center

Infinity HPS-250 Subwoofer

Yamaha ??? surrounds

69"X76" Hand made oak entertainment center.

Zandern-

You may have to play around with the "rear-wall" and "side-wall" distances. Do the RF-3's have the woofers mounted on the side of the cabinet? (really, I don't know). If so it may complicate things (the distances that is).

Also, make sure that the spikes are definitley piercing the carpet (and padding) and resting on the floring under it. You may want to put all your body weight on the cab to make sure it does.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 09-24-2002 at 10:18 AM

I am limited with my movement of the speakers, so yes that could help alot cause I helps tremendously with my sub. But no the RF-3II's have dual 8" woofers facing foward. I did lean on my speakers too, I can here the spikes on the cement. But no I'm not complaining about the bass, I am satisfied with that, the RF-3II's I understand aren't ment for big bass, thats what my sub is for.

As for the bi-wiring, I have heard from other owners and dealers(who you would think would recommend it so they can sell banana plugs and wire)that bi-wiring the RF-3II's doesn't do much if anything. Although I don't have the ear of most of you guys too I must admit. Some of you speak a different language than me which I am trying to understand yet. Mostly with the frequencies and such. Like 98 something at 1 meter, or whatever it is. But thats why I'm here, to learn from you guys and to make me better off than my friends.

------------------

27" 3 line digital comb filter JVC TV

Denon AVR-2802 Receiver

Denon CDM-270 CD Player

Aiwa DVD Player (sucks)

Klipsch RF3-II's Fronts

Klipsch RC3-II Center

Infinity HPS-250 Subwoofer

Yamaha ??? surrounds

69"X76" Hand made oak entertainment center.