New to Home Theater

TonyE

Hello!

I found this community in the nick of time! I have been buying Klipsch from craigslist in Chicago, and am getting myself into trouble. I am buying speakers I don't know anything about, and now that I have all the spots filled, the sound is not correct. I have a KV1 center, matched with RF62's. I also picked up some VF36's for a song and have them as surround speakers. I have 1.1's as rears. I want the center to have more vocals, and have found a RC3 II for $140. Will that work? Please someone help me from buying the wrong Center. As far as a pecking order, how are the RF62's and VF36's? Should I continue to look for something better? Please and THANKS!

• Like 1

Hi Tony, welcome to the forum.  First the VF 36's should be the mains.  They are some of the best Icon speakers ever made.  The correct center is the VC 25 or the KC 25 which is the newer version.  For now, put the RF 62's as rear surround or side surround.  It is going to be a bit tricky getting all these different series speakers to be seamless.

What avr do you have, how large is the room and are you upstairs or downstairs?

• Like 1

ONKYO TX-NR 1010 is the reciever. Basement about 12 feet wide, back a cove (cement with insulation on the left, wood studs/drywall on the right. The RC3 II isn't right? Thanks for the reply, I would have another speaker that makes no sense!

Amplifier Section
Power Output
All Channels 140 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Front L/R 140 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
170 W + 170 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.1%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Center 140 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Surround L/R 140 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Surround Back L/R 140 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Dynamic Power 320 W (3 ohms, 1 ch)
270 W (4 ohms, 1 ch)
160 W (8 ohms, 1 ch)
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Welcome to the forum Tony.  There are many here that will gladly help you spend your money.  :P  Seriously though, we are here to help.

Derrick, wouldn't the RF-62 be a higher end speaker than the VF36?  The Icon series was marketed to Best Buy which they typically sell Klipsch lower end models.  I'm not familiar with the Icon Series so I'm simply asking here.

• Like 1

Thanks Youthman!

I am jaded by all the bigger, shiny center channels out there in Craigslist land. I understand the center channel should match the front speakers, but shouldnt I buy the best cneter channel money can buy (value) in case I upgrade fronts? I have a Paradigm CC370 found or a RC3 II Klipsch. i was ready to pull the trigger on one of these...

• Moderators

Tony, it's easy to get excited but it is better to have a precise plan or you will end up buying things, only to find out they don't play well together.

You are correct in that it is a good idea to buy the best center you can afford but with that said, you don't want to end up with a frankenstein system meaning having speakers from various series or even various manufacturers.

Currently you have the following:

RF-62 (Can be used as mains or surrounds)
VF-36 (Can be used as mains or surrounds)

KV-1 Center
1.1 Surrounds

Obviously the weakest links in your system are your center and surrounds.  I would work on upgrading the center before the surrounds as the center plays a much larger role.

You mentioned the RC-3ii.  It's a descent center but it comes from a previous series.

If this were me, if you like the sound of the RF-62, I would build a system around it as follows:

RF-62 Mains
RC-62 Center
RS-42 or RS-52 Surounds

There are always bigger better systems out there so you have to discover what sounds awesome to you.  As you can see from the screenshot on my computer, I've owned just about every Klipsch Reference speaker made.  I LOVE the reference series.  IMO, the RF-82 is a great bang for your buck.  The RF-7, RF-7ii and RF-83 are a significant step up but again, it's all about what you want to achieve with your system.

speaker-list-07-03-17.jpg

• Moderators

I would NOT buy a Paradigm center as this will have a COMPLETELY different sound from the speakers you currently have.  I can assure you that you can build a ridiculous system using all Klipsch speakers.  A lot of guys will buy other brand subs as Klipsch isn't known for subs but they do have a few models that sound great.

• Like 1

• Moderators

You have to remember to if the center channel is super important during movies, the last thing you want to do is skimp on an inferior center channel not to mention the RC three is not voice matched to any of your speakers

TonyE,

Welcome to the forum.

1 hour ago, derrickdj1 said:

First the VF 36's should be the mains.  They are some of the best Icon speakers ever made.

@derrickdj1,

Are you sure about that?  The photo below is of the VF-36 which was sold at Best Buy on the main floor.

Image result for Klipsch VF-36

Derrick, I think you are thinking of the WF-35's when you made that statement.  Now the Icon WF(wood) speakers are sweet looking and sounding.

Image result for Klipsch WF-35

Bill

• Like 1

Yes, my VF36's look like the top ones. I'm glad I didn't pay a lot- ($100). Can they be surround speakers, or should I put them on Facebook marketplace? I think I should buy the best Center I can for the money, knowing I'll upgrade the RF62's later....

1 minute ago, TonyE said:

Yes, my VF36's look like the top ones. I'm glad I didn't pay a lot- ($100). Can they be surround speakers

Sure they can for now.  RF-62's up front and RC-62 center, and try the VF-36's as surrounds.  They may work out just fine.  If not, I am sure you can re-coupe the $100.00 and put that $$$ towards some RS-42's, RS-52's, and even RS-35's.

Bill

8 minutes ago, TonyE said:

I have a KV1, haven't bought the RC-62 yet-everyone agree that is the right center channel? I'll start watching all the websites for

it....

I new that, I saw others were suggesting the 62 and I must agree.

Bill

I am certain about the Icon VF 36.  I owned the speaker have been able to compare it to the RF 7, RF 7II. RB 35 and Forte speakers.  Yes, it is a lesser model based on pedigree but, don't be mistaken that less is always drastically inferior.  You guys know I have been thru a lot gear over the past 5 years and one speaker that I have not replaced is my VF 35's.  The VF 35's proudly set in my family room.  For the OP, these are his most capadible speaker.  The next thing he needs to do is pair it with the right avr.  

A Pioneer avr with the Front align MCACC correction program will timber match everything to the mains.  Nothing wrong with Marantz, Denon or Yamaha but, I don't know of them to have this one critical function.  The V Icon series was Klipsch first venture into big box retail and they were a hit.  Why are they different than Synergy or newer I con speakers?  Their horn design is different and lead to the development of the RP line along with the Icon W and X.    I would not hesitate to own the VF 36 to this day.  It is an incredible bargain.

They will exhibit a break up in the highs at extreme volume before the Reference line but, we are talking about maxed out spl and that is not need for Reference level playback in movies or music in 9 out of 10 cases.

6 hours ago, TonyE said:

Should I continue to look for something better?

Like others have said, you need a plan otherwise you'll end up spending a fortune swapping out gear in search of a cohesive system.  

I'd suggest that you decide on a particular line of speakers and wait for the right ones to come along.  Start with your mains, then add the center, and then the surrounds.

• Like 1

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

For the OP, these are his most capadible speaker.

I know specs aren't everything but I just don't see it.  RF-62 have a better tweeter.  RF-62 are 5" shorter (same depth and width) and weight 1lb more (maybe due to larger magnets, better bracing etc). 

• Like 1