Help! Very low sound out of RS52II

W27

I run an all RF-7II surround system. I went from 7.1 to 5.1 because the side surrounds we're taking up too much space. Recently I found a pair of RS52II I thought I'd give a try and go back to 7.1. Considering atmos too. 

I have sound coming out of all 4 drivers in each speaker, but the volume is ridiculously low. Running Audyssey doesn't even pick them up. I reset the processor. I even have them connected as my mains right now. I have to turn the volume way up to get sound out of them. They don't sound good, but nothing sounds blown. 

Help!! 

8 minutes ago, BlessedPrince said:

And they both do it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. I'm experimenting with them now. With the volume at nearly 100% they sound ok. They're being powered with a B&K amp that's 200 watts a channel 

I just switched the leads from surround to surround back. The problem follows the RS52II's. When running Audyssey all RF7's read low 70's on my spl meter. It sends the test tone to the RS52's 3 times each. Raising the volume a little each time. The highest it gets is about 59 db on them. Then it usually doesn't detect them at all. 

Ugh... I think it may be a wiring problem. I just switched it with a speaker I'm using in another room. The RS52II sounds fine in the other room, the speaker I hooked up in its place has very low volume too. 

The problem is that I already ran my wires through the wall, patched up the holes, and mounted them. I heard sound, and just figured they needed to be calibrated. I'm going to continue trouble shooting. I really hope it's not the speaker wire. Any suggestions let me know. 

To test the speaker wire: Disconnect the wires which run to one surround, at the receiver/amp end. Short the ends together at the speaker end (no speaker connected at the speaker end). Use a voltmeter and measure resistance; it should be very low; less than 5 ohms. As an alternative, you could attach a 9V battery to either end of the leads with jumper wires or something creative, and measure the voltage at the other end. Should be close to 9V DC.

That will prove the wiring is sound.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I won't have more time to troubleshoot until the weekend. I switched the interconnects and it made no difference. I'm really hoping for wire terminations being the problem. That's probably my best case scenario. I'll report back with what I find. 

• Like 1

Solved! Luckily before I got really into it, I pulled the amp out further. Some wires were tight, so access wasn't great. I must have accidentally pushed the button that switches from XLR to RCA. Apparently that just makes it quiet lol. Button pushed and I'm back in business!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W27 said:

Solved! Luckily before I got really into it, I pulled the amp out further. Some wires were tight, so access wasn't great. I must have accidentally pushed the button that switches from XLR to RCA. Apparently that just makes it quiet lol. Button pushed and I'm back in business!! 

:emotion-21: I've done that before. Wasted hours on something that took seconds. Glad it was a cheap fix.

• Like 1