Nice La Scala article

gfxmla

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

Claude is in the horn loaded camp.  I believe he's saying the Wilsons won't go lower than La Scalas with horn loaded subs and that horn loaded beats the Wilson's in dynamics. If you inferred that he was implying that your specific modified La Scalas couldn't keep up -- or more precisely down  -- with the Wilsons, I feel you're mistaken.  If I'm wrong, Claude will correct me.  My experience acting as a translator between a French-Canadian and an Aussie is limited. :-)

Thanks for trying 👌

My votes also go to the La Scala 

However I call it as I hear it -

Having said that - It could just have been the room and the selective setup of that particular system 

But overall the La Scala would win hands down 

Im sure I originally said that 

7 hours ago, Full Range said:

Im not sure if are for the La Scala camp or for the Wilson camp with your answer 

Suffice to say that with the modifications in my La Scala, they can reach to low 30s htz - but very accurate and pleasing htz 

Ported LaScalas are NOT flat to 30 Hz. "Pleasing" is another thing altogether. My bass if truly flat from 20-200 Hz. with the usual plus/minus 3 db., which is only achievable with more than one sub and PEQ. If "pleasing" is "good enough" for you then enjoy it. I prefer a mix of measurements and listening with demanding bass recordings that would show something unacceptable with mere porting of LaScalas. Been there done that, got the T shirt.

16 hours ago, Full Range said:

My "modified" La Scala are more defined and excel in highly complex multi layer music passages and better in low volume definition 

Yes. You speak of the Horn LOADED portion of the LaScala, which does have great definition where most of the notes are. I actually prefer the LaScala sound with subs with their greater phase coherence. Although, those with tri amped and time aligned Khorns with subs are pretty darn good too..........at much greater expense.

Thanks @ClaudeJ1

Thing is that I don't  like to much bass as I favour midrange with a good balance all round 

The reason is that I come from a very long time, 20/30 years of building and enjoying full range, single driver Lowther speakers 

That just equates to personal preference and I'm not going to chase something I probably won't like 

43 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Thanks @ClaudeJ1

Thing is that I don't  like to much bass as I favour midrange with a good balance all round 

The reason is that I come from a very long time, 20/30 years of building and enjoying full range, single driver Lowther speakers 

That just equates to personal preference and I'm not going to chase something I probably won't like 

Favour is the main point here. There are no absolutes in Audio. Our hearing, rooms, and sonic preferences are not necessarily "flat." Besides, there's very little music below 40 Hz. so you have the MOST important aspects covered, obviously. No argument here. Looks to me like you have a great setup. Enjoy the music!

• Like 1