How far from wall?

Grenchlok

I'm building a new dedicated HT.  I've received a lot of advice from AVS Forums but they tell me that I shouldn't get teh RP-260fs because of the rear port.  Too late and too bad.  I LOVE the Klipsch RP tower series!!!!!

So my question is, how far away from the wall do I need to place the RP-260f to ensure that I don't poor results?  I've heard anything from 4" to 2'.  I've alos heard something about 2x the diameter of the rear port but since my three 260s (LCR) are literally in the mail and a retangle in shape, I don't even know what 2x the diameter would be.  

So thoughts?  How far away from the wall do I need to place the speakers to get great sound?

• Like 1

Welcome, you will like those speakers, everyone who buys them likes them a lot.

There are many variables, but normally just try them in various spots, angles, distances, and hear what sounds the best to you. I would start at around 2" from the wall and go from there. 

I noticed you're getting 3 RP260s (nice) for LCR, will the center be upright like the towers, or horizontal like most center channels?

You might tell us a little about your setup....behind a screen, TV, room size, gear? There are some very friendly and knowledgeable people on here.

Thanks for the reply.

The setup is as follows:

Building a dedicated HT in my basement.  Music not really a priority.  Just an HT.  Want it to look like some of those really cool looking HTs out there when you google Home Theater Designs with nice carpet, faux columns, crown moulding, sconsces, Acoustic panels, etc.

• AVR - Undecided but likely a Yamaha 3070
  • 7.2.4 setup
  • Room is 25 x 15 with two rows 13' and 19' from the screen
  • Front projection Epson 5040
  • Screen will be accounticly transparent.  Probably around 135" diagonal (will build it myself)
  • LCR - Klipsch RP-260f LCR standing vertically behind the screen (Ordered - arriving next week)
  • Sides - Probably Klipsch R-5650-S II. Still unsure here.  I need the sides to be in-wall and I'm thinking the stacked tweeters will do well situated between the two rows so both rows get decent side surround effects.  If I should consider a different option, please let me know.
  • Backs - Klipsch RP-160m (purchased - waiting in box)
  • Atmos in ceiling - Klipsch CDT-5650-C II x 6.  Only have the ability in the 3070 to hook up 4 right now but will install 6 so that later they are there if I ever get the ability to use them. (Purchased.  waiting in boxes)

I'm finished framing and almost done with the electrical work.  Hope to have dry wallers in 2 weeks from now.  Going for the full blown dedicated HT look

The reason for the question is that I'm trying to figure out how far away from the front wall the false screen wall should be.  I believe I'll need about 6" from the front of the 260s to the screen and will need some room from the back of the 260s to the wall.  Just trying to figure out exactly what those distances need to be so I can start framing out the supports for my false screen wall.

Thanks!!

Anywhere between 6 inches and 2 feet, depending on the bass reinforcement required.  Since you are doing a HT you will likely be using a sub.  If you are not using the 260s full range then it will really be based on the sound, upper bass and lower mid that the proximity to the wall will produce.  It can mess with the sound and certain materials around the speaker will clean it up.