Home theater from the ground

Klaus

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I am in the process of building a Home Theater from the ground. First picture can you guys see here. All will be build in wood. 

59ef1d79967d0_Bioopstart.jpg.7abeb137ab1b07d00b01b6a947b585a2.jpg

The speaker setup will be a 7.4.4 setup.

LCR: JBL Synhesis SAM3VA

Side and back speakers: Klipsch Pro 7800-S (or L not sure what is the correct solution)

Atmos: Klipsch Pro 7502-S (again or L not sure what is best)

Subs: JBL Synthesis S1S-EX

As you can see in my speaker setup I am not sure what to choose. L or S. I lean to S all the way around as I like the sound to spread out. But need some advise. 

The room size with bee in meters after bafflewall. 6,40 meters long, 4,40 meters wide and 2,50 meters to celling. 

Hope you guys can help me out here. :-)

I would think the S would be a little more forgiving on placement but I'm not much of an in-wall guy.  I like external speakers with brackets that allow a little more fine tuning.  I would think you'd need some sort of simulator to properly place in-walls correctly as once they're in, you can't move or re-direct their sound.

Wow, great project.  Just noticed that your floor-to-ceiling appears too low but and I can see why you're using in-wall speakers.

Add 1m for flooring treatment and sitting arrangement and your ears are about 2m from the ceiling speakers...which might work out better for Atmos, don't know.

If you're doing the room arrangement and acoustic treatment yourself, be sure to have enough acoustic panels/baffles, etc, to neutralize unwanted noise or echos.  When the room is built but still empty, go in the middle of the room and clap your hand and listen for echoes. When carpet is added, it will help neutralize some echoes but not as much; you will then need to put panels up on the ceiling, side walls, and corners.  Keep doing the clap test and add more panels/baffles until you don't hear anymore echoes. This is my poor-man's acoustic test, btw.

The speakers you choose is up to you, obviously. However, the choice for receiver matters when making the speakers work together. If you don't already have, get a receiver that has the intelligence to balance all speakers; eg, distance, height, etc. For example, I have a Pioneer SC-81 and all channels are used with speakers calibrated using its built-in calibration tool(Multi Channel Acoustic Calibration) or MCACC. It uses a microphone that you place at the listening point to calibrate the proper distance and dB level for each speaker. Once done, you can fine-tune each speaker individually, if needed. There is also an iOS app called iControlAV5. I use it to control volume or emphasize sub or center speakers on-the-fly, while watching a movie. 

I apologized if I'm repeating what you may already know. Just thought I'd put my two-cents in...  ; )

Good luck.

jav