AVR for Pre/Pro Duty

The History Kid

My Fusion 8100 is having consistent arguments with my PS3, TV, and Dell computer.  The TV and PS3 issue has been recurring for a while, but it just wants nothing to do with the HDCP 2.2 HDMI output from the computer that I got in November.  So, that has me sitting here pondering replacement of the processing duties with another unit.

In this plan, I'd use the Emotiva Fusion 8100, and two UPA amps for amplification, and anything else as processing/pre-amp.

I'm trying to be as cost effective as possible, but this is starting to get a little difficult - staying under $500 I know will be a feat.  (I'm flexible if there's a noticeable quality spike)

I've tracked down these AVR's with pre-outs and support 4K:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5011/marantz-sr5011-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3300w/denon-avr-x3300w-7.2-ch-x-105-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

And then there's the Emotiva MC-700 which is $600:

https://emotiva.com/product/mc-700/

My big thing is that I don't want to shoot myself in the foot with SQ on this endeavor.  I'd like to maintain the quality of the Fusion 8100 or improve.  I know how to discern the quality of an amp, but not exactly with DAC's and Processors.  Would opting for another AVR to pair with the Fusion be reasonable?  Would I be better with the MC?  I'm currently on the fence with the MC as it's an Emotiva product - but I've heard there are some hiccups with a few things.

Thoughts?

Sounds complicated.  At this price point, I would sell the 8100 and use the proceeds to get a Japanese AVR with all the current features and power you need.  They tend to get all the specs, standards, and HDMI switching right.  This interoperability, along with updated SQ features and a simpler audio path, are more than enough to overcome any minute SQ advantage the 8100 amp section may or may not have over the one native to the Japanese AVR.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pbphoto said:

Sounds complicated.  At this price point, I would sell the 8100 and use the proceeds to get a Japanese AVR with all the current features and power you need.  They tend to get all the specs, standards, and HDMI switching right.  This interoperability, along with updated SQ features and a simpler audio path, are more than enough to overcome any minute SQ advantage the 8100 amp section may or may not have over the one native to the Japanese AVR.

I am not interested in moving the amplification duty off of the Emotiva at all.  The AVR is spec'd at 65 @ 8 AWPC, and likely puts out closer to 80 (Total power output is spec'd at 880, with the toroidal power supply, that isn't hard to fathom).  The RX-V2500 that it replaced couldn't even produce the amplification that this unit does.

I don't need "features", I just need 4K/HDCP 2.2 support.  Any amplification that is on board the Emotiva will get replaced eventually with another dedicated amp, I'm just trying to remove an obstacle from the course.

8 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

I have been using a Pioneer Elite as a preamp with good results.  I can't vouch for Denon, Marantz and others but, I'm have not found need to change for 7+ years.

Do you know if Pioneer Elite units have suffered from any quality degradation in recent years?  After Yamaha's restructuring I noticed a quality tick that I wasn't pleased with (and a change in sound (to my ears)).  The only Elite I have personal experience with was the LX101 (I'm sure I have that model number wrong) - where it would pass video but not audio.  I'm guessing that may be due to it's entry level...

1 minute ago, The History Kid said:

Do you know if Pioneer Elite units have suffered from any quality degradation in recent years?  After Yamaha's restructuring I noticed a quality tick that I wasn't pleased with (and a change in sound (to my ears)).  The only Elite I have personal experience with was the LX101 (I'm sure I have that model number wrong) - where it would pass video but not audio.  I'm guessing that may be due to it's entry level...

I don't know of anything.  Depending on other components, there may be hand shake issues, BT or others.  There is no perfect solution but, the Elite avrs are my personal favorites.

• Like 1