K-33-E Frequency Response Chart

geoff.

Does anyone have a graph showing the frequency response of the K-33-E ?

I am specifically interested in how HIGH you could cross one in a two way box.

I realize this flies in the face of everything Klipsch is about, midrange, but I recently dropped Kappa 15C’s in my LaScalas and have a pair of estranged K-33’s.

Altec is famous for pushing their woofers higher and as fate would have it there is a pair of Santana cabinets sitting empty in my basement and a pair of K-90 horns dying to run with the pack.

Could you cross a K-33 as high as 2000hz?

I appreciate any and all input on this diversion.

Thanks,

geoff.

BD2F7937-2F45-4EFF-87DC-B2BC059E6DD6.jpeg

You can cross the woofer as high as you like, but even if the response of the K-33-E at 2 KHz is strong (which I doubt it is) the differences in polar patterns between a direct radiator 15 inch woofer and a horn tweeter are going to be very dramatic and audible. Not to mention the Doppler distortion between the lowest bass the and  majority of the midrange region. 

If you really want a 2 way with the horn I see in the pic, then multiple 8 inch drivers can go up to 2 KHz and give you enough bass. You will still need to measure and adjust the crossover carefully to make this work.

• Like 1

Thanks Boom3, the K-90 horns were used in the KLF C7 center channel. It had two 8" woofers and I always thought they would make for an amazing pair of bookshelf speakers.

The KLF C7 had bite and punch. In a bigger cabinet it would have made a solid tower.

What you have detailed pretty much sums up the reviews of the now defunct Santanas I hoped to re-populate.

The cabinets are just too nice to trash.

Another day, another diversion. Lol

Thanks for the constructive information.

I have this I got from Eminence, years ago.  It is for the K-33-E with an Fs of 34.46.

"

Eminence response curves are measured
under the following conditions: All speakers are tested at 1W/1m using a variety of test
set-ups for the appropriate impedance | LMS using 0.25" supplied microphone (software
calibrated) mounted 1m from wall/baffle | 2 ft. x 2 ft. baffle is built into the wall with
the speaker mounted flush against a steel ring for minimum diffraction | Carver PM-120
amplifier | 2700 cu. ft. chamber with fiberglass on all six surfaces (three with custom-
made wedges)  "  In another place they call out 2.83V for 8 ohms and 4V for 16 ohms, but don't specify a voltage for 4 ohms.  So, you might add 3 dB for a K-33-E at 2.83V. 

My scanner died, so this is the best I can give.  To kill that peak, you will do well to get it to cross at 1500 Hz.  

K-33 response.jpg

• Like 2