Dolby Atmos Question

artto

I have a Dolby Atmos "Ready" A/V reciever (Onkyo NR-TX838). The firmware is updated to current version, so Atmos should now be enabled.

With the drop in prices of UHD/4K BluRay players I decided it's time to get one to make full use of the Samsung 4K TV (UN55HU7200) I bought two years ago. I'm not a movie buff or videophile per se' but enjoy the higher quality picture and sound.

For the UHD player I started out with a Samsung UBD-M7500 which apparently is not Dolby Atmos compatible. I now have a Samsung UBD-M8500 in my possession. In speaking with Samsung technical support, I've gotten conflicting answers as to the Dolby Atmos compatibility of both these units.

I realize that regardless of these models or even the OPPO UDP-203 (also under consideration) that the player output must be set to "bitstream". However, there are 3 different bitstream choices (unprocessed, Re-encoded DTS and Re-encoded Dolbly D). Obviously "unprocessed" and Dolby D are candidates, but which one?

In either case, when playing a BluRay 4K disc with Atmos, I don't see any indication on the A/V receiver that Dolby Atmos is engaged. The same Dolby TrueHD indicator lights up that also lights up on non-Atmos discs. Is this the usual thing to see, or should I be seeing some kind of Dolby Atmos indicator? I seems to me some kind of Atmos indicator should be on.

I was finally able to talk with Onkyo tech support. Since my TX-NR838 was introduced before Dolby Atmos was actually available ("Atmos Ready"), the display will not show "Dolby Atmos". Besides that, apparently Atmos is not a "Format". It's not decoded by the player. It is simply sent "bitstream" to the preamp/receiver. A spatially-coded substream is added to Dolby TrueHD (or Dolby Digital+). It uses this substream to move audio "objects" around to ANY channel. Hence, the first generation "Dolby Atmos Ready" receivers will all most likely just show Dolby TrueHD or Digital+ on their display even when decoding Atmos.

Also, dummy me, didn't re-configure the receiver/speakers for Dolby-enabled height speakers. Duh. In fact I hadn't reconfigured anything, even after changing from the Klipsch Chorus/RC7 front speakers to RF7ii & RC64. DUH. No wonder things haven't sounded quite right. LOL