forte 2 walnut oil finish ?

I'm looking for some tips on restoring oiled walnut finish forte 2's.  I've worked on the oak finishes before with great results but just wanted to hear some tips on working with the walnut.

The speakers are in very good shape overall but the tops have some scratches & wear & one is a little sun faded.  So I will be sanding the tops & I'm sure it will remove most of the oil or stain that's there & lighten the tops compared to the sides.  My question is basically what product is best to bring them back to the factory color?  I've read about watco rejuvinating oil for walnut & have used howards restore a finish on oak finishes with good results, but are those products good to match the original walnut finish?  Did klipsch use a stain on the walnut speakers? 

Any info or experience with these oiled walnut finishes before I start sanding would be appreciated

If you don't mind me riding the coat tails of your thread - I have a more simple ask for my Forte II, I don't want to refinish them or whatever, but I would like to know what I can do to clean them and ... oil them?  Wax them?  They look a bit thirsty.  

I don't mind imperfections, I like a little character in my things.

Just finished using Howard restore a finish dark walnut and feed n wax on a set of 1984 Heresy walnut cabinets. They were in good shape to begin but look really good now. A light sanding and 0000 steel wool did help. I did not try to remove every blemish, just smooth them and take off any rough edges. Can see some scratch marks on the bottom, but I think they show well for 33 years of age.

Prior to this I used furniture oil polish once or twice per year.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, bkevind said:

If you don't mind me riding the coat tails of your thread - I have a more simple ask for my Forte II, I don't want to refinish them or whatever, but I would like to know what I can do to clean them and ... oil them?  Wax them?  They look a bit thirsty.  

I don't mind imperfections, I like a little character in my things.

dont mind at all, i can say that for just cleaning & oiling i have used lemon oil for furniture with great results on many different oiled wood finishes. it cleans & feeds them without adding wax. i've never used feed & wax but it might be a good product if you want a wax coat.

for my issues i will be sanding the tops probably more than most, not just a quick light sanding & steel wool, i want to remove or greatly improve some of the scratches if i can, they are not anywhere near deep enough to worry about breaking through the veneer but do catch your fingernail & in my past experience with wood, scratches like this will show up darker when you restain or re oil. 

so with the deeper sanding in mind & the fact that it will lighten the color compared to the sides, is just plain watco oil going to recolor them?  or do i want the kind with a tint to it or actual stain.  i suppose i can experiment with them but was hoping others have done this & what product they used to get the color back into the tops. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2018 at 11:24 AM, dtr20 said:

Yes, the Watco oil will bring the color back to them beautifully.

Thanks for the info.  I asked about this awhile back but was a little nervous about the basically clear oil bringing back the color, they are so dark I thought for sure they had a stain on them from the factory, guess it's just the walnut wood that is naturally that dark.  I will try the watco & hope it brings back the original color.