Strange Arkansas Law

Mallette

5 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

As to why this is, you are living in the one town in the United States which is the reason for this whole thing.

True...and interestingly, even if they'd insisted I'd still owe no tax to Arkansas as residents within the Texarkana, Ar city limits are exempt by state law though you still have to file.  I don't think the registration is that different, and is certainly overall less expensive in that there is no inspection requirement here.  I think my registration was 35.00. and my Houston inspections were 45.00 before even paying registration.

Dave

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Mallette said:

I'll take what I can get...but the judge SHOULD find that part of the law unconstitutional.  It is absurd to use one's address when filing Federal taxes as evidence of a person's residence when the taxes were paid.

Dave

It may be a "presumption." If it is  rebuttable, this it isn't unconstitutional.

Even if it was unconstitutional, I am not sure if that is a defense for you not registering your vehicle.  It might very well be, but it is more in the nature of an "equitable" defense which is why you should heed Jeff's advice about laying it out and hoping the Judge sees the fairness of it all.

It will be just as important to the judge that you tried to register in AR, got that fixed.  You could have just as easily have registered it in Texas.

Also be sure to let the judge know that you are from there, grew up there, and as soon as you could retire went back "home."  You keep busy with teaching a couple of college courses and run a non-profit.  

I could help you more if you were busted running a still, growing marijuana or wanted to marry your cousin.  

Travis

• Haha 1

Just now, dwilawyer said:

I never knew that.

It is a fact.  Never could compete with Texas, and with the Texas side of town now open to beer and wine 7 days and Arkansas, once with a monopoly, now not having that revenue and limited to 6 days, even worse off.  

Dave

On 2/5/2018 at 8:39 PM, oldtimer said:

It is absurd.  There is a fundamental issue of government overreach.  The state is assuming residency without knowledge of such.  I recall a similar case where a friend was being hounded by the state of New Mexico for state income taxes after said friend had ceased being a resident, having moved to Texas.  

California tried that b.s. many years ago with retired people. They got slapped. Trying to reach into another state to collect income.

7 hours ago, Rxonmymind said:

Op.

Go with your bank statements showing debit/credit card purchases in Texas. 

As I mentioned earlier, somebody up there came to their senses and they released the hold on my registration.  However, they had a specific list of acceptables and that was among them.  I tried with my son's change of enrollment from down there to Arkansas in January, 2016 and it didn't fly.  

Dave