decisions...

thebigdog

I am planning on revamping my audio system at home. My current "system" is not note-worthy to mention. My friend has a Promedia 5.1 system and he strongly recommend me to get it. I look into it and since i have a Tivo (optical output) and everything I am thinking about getting the DD-5.1 SYSTEM (w/ the speakers) on Klipsch. I have a few questions come into my mind....

1)Which sound card should I get? The primary focus of the system will be DVD MOVIES AND MUSIC. Gaming comes second. I have looked and kinda narrow it down to Santa Cruz, AE, and GTXP. I am open to suggestions. Here is what I want to do...I want to use the digital output of the sound card (digital coaxial) to output any 5.1 stream digitally to my DD-5.1 for it to decode and playback via the promedia 5.1 speakers.

2)For my music (mp3), I would like to use the Promedia 5.1 as the output speakers also. However, is that possible to do via the DIGITAL output of the sound card? (I would imagine the SC need to an Analog to Digital chip for this?? and I am not sure which card can or cannot do.) People talk about 5.1 mp3, is that possible w/ the digital DVD setup that I mentioned in 1)? Or do I need to use the analog output of the sound card to do this? if so, can someone describe how to archieve this w/ the DD-5.1 system (wiring)?

3)Last but not the least, GAMING. How should it be wired for gaming? I undersatnd that most game do not support digital out (maybe I am wrong?) and so I need to have speakers connected to the analog output of the sound card for this. Again, how can I archieve this w/ the DD-5.1 system?

I am kinda confused because I see many way of wiring the system depending on the situation. Is there a easy way to go about it instead of swapping wires whenever I want to go from one to another? As you can see I am a bit confused here, please advice.

Thanks in advance.

----------------

On 10/4/2002 12:00:24 AM thebigdog wrote:

I am planning on revamping my audio system at home. My current "system" is not note-worthy to mention. My friend has a Promedia 5.1 system and he strongly recommend me to get it. I look into it and since i have a Tivo (optical output) and everything I am thinking about getting the DD-5.1 SYSTEM (w/ the speakers) on Klipsch. I have a few questions come into my mind....

1)Which sound card should I get? The primary focus of the system will be DVD MOVIES AND MUSIC. Gaming comes second. I have looked and kinda narrow it down to Santa Cruz, AE, and GTXP. I am open to suggestions. Here is what I want to do...I want to use the digital output of the sound card (digital coaxial) to output any 5.1 stream digitally to my DD-5.1 for it to decode and playback via the promedia 5.1 speakers.

2)For my music (mp3), I would like to use the Promedia 5.1 as the output speakers also. However, is that possible to do via the DIGITAL output of the sound card? (I would imagine the SC need to an Analog to Digital chip for this?? and I am not sure which card can or cannot do.) People talk about 5.1 mp3, is that possible w/ the digital DVD setup that I mentioned in 1)? Or do I need to use the analog output of the sound card to do this? if so, can someone describe how to archieve this w/ the DD-5.1 system (wiring)?

3)Last but not the least, GAMING. How should it be wired for gaming? I undersatnd that most game do not support digital out (maybe I am wrong?) and so I need to have speakers connected to the analog output of the sound card for this. Again, how can I archieve this w/ the DD-5.1 system?

I am kinda confused because I see many way of wiring the system depending on the situation. Is there a easy way to go about it instead of swapping wires whenever I want to go from one to another? As you can see I am a bit confused here, please advice.

Thanks in advance.

----------------

Santa Cruz can NOT deliver DTS/Dolby Signal to DD5.1 so I guess you have no choice unless to buy Audigy or Audigy2 card

Justin: me? kidding? of course not. I only said what I've read on the review. In my country, there almost no one buy AE and with no local distributor support that card, who wants to buy it?

Perhaps we can make a poll, What sound card is the best today?

Me choose Santa Cruz (too bad can't work with DD5.1)

cna you further explain why you said Santa Cruz can't do DD5.1? Do you mean that it won't do a digital pass thru to external decoder or do you mean that it can't output DD5.1 Analog Signal? I have heard that the new driver can do that but not sure, maybe someone who uses Santa Cruz can chime in.

Here's what happened when I was using Santa Cruz:

when I plugged the cable from Versajack to DD5.1, DD5.1 display DTS

(depending on what DVD you are playing) BUT as soon as I plugged the speakers cables to DD5.1 --> 'Unknown Input'. Of course there was no sound. It didn't happen with SB Audigy