Synergy

Rxonmymind

Often talked about in audio circles when the right gear just makes everything come together for that "magic" to happen to music. 

I have that. But that didn't stop me from mixing things up a bit. As of yesterday the combination of Wharfedale Denton's 80th anniversary speakers paired with my Sony STR -7045 is unbelievable. 3D, excellent imaging, accurate staging of musicians, wide sound stage, warm, laid back with highs floating in the air at times ect...

Downstairs the Klipsch Bell's paired with the Marantz 2500 is like a Ferrari. Everything as above in terms of sound , 3D etc..while the Marantz reproduces music clear, clean & cool without fatigue the Klipsch at 104 db just loves to flat out RUN with that Marantz . Bass is tight & well controled easily going around corners in the house tapping your ear while shaking the walls when called for. Then it can shift effortlessly to late night listening sessions in an instant and hear everything perfectly. 

Decided to swap the two receivers places.  Whoa, what is this? 

The Sony now on the Klipsch isn't projecting the sound and the sound stage is flat two dimensional "wall". Imaging is accurate just bland.

The Marantz 2500 on the Wharfedales while powerful doesn't project the sound on low volume the same way as the Sony did. The bass is almost absent and sure I can project the sound by brute force it's just not the same. 

Which should be easy with the Marantz 250 watts per channel on the dinky Wharfedales right? The Sony at 35 watts does this effortlessly on 86 db Wharfedales. Go figure.

Strange world we live in when one thinks bigger is better on smaller speakers while lower watts on high sensitive speakers should be a match.

I'll be switching them back later today. 

Back to synergy.

I need to do an amp switch to my 450wpc Carver M-1.0t MkII Opt 002 (night updated & upgraded) on my Belles and see how that combo works. It's a dead quiet amp and sounded outstanding on the CF-3's so it had me curious for the Belles. Yes, way too much power that would never get used on them but it's a great sounding amp. They've done great with the Mac MC250 and VTA ST-70 but I'm curious now.

Thanks for the writeup. You just never know how speakers will react to different amps. 

Avguytx 

Looking forward to your impressions on the switch. I just thought it odd here I'm pushing 250 watts each side of the Bell's and while it's overkill it's perfect. It makes me think hard not to go to low watt tubes. Maybe big McIntosh Goliath tubes but 10 watts ones? Hmm, suspect at best.