Horn/tweeter Stopped Working

Tjsilva

Guys,

I had a system perfectly working with RF280FA speakers and an AV onkyo RX820 receiver.

I added a yamaha AS1100 amplifier to the system through the HT by pass yesterday.

Right speaker was weird and stopped working after some minutes. I reconnected the speaker cables and the sound of the right speaker started to fade away again.

This I realized that the rca cables were not properly connected. So I reconnected them and now the right horn is off. 

I reconnected the right speaker in the Av receiver to test, and horn is still off

Did I blow it?

What did I do wrong?

is there such a thing as a fuse in the horn or I will have to replace the whole horn?

Thanks in advance

Thiago

Start swapping things like cables/wires/outputs etc to find out if it's a speaker or input to the speaker issue before you do anything.  Process of elimination is normally the easiest thing to do especially when you have one properly working channel/speaker.

3 hours ago, Tjsilva said:

Guys,

I had a system perfectly working with RF280FA speakers and an AV onkyo RX820 receiver.

I added a yamaha AS1100 amplifier to the system through the HT by pass yesterday.

Right speaker was weird and stopped working after some minutes. I reconnected the speaker cables and the sound of the right speaker started to fade away again.

This I realized that the rca cables were not properly connected. So I reconnected them and now the right horn is off. 

I reconnected the right speaker in the Av receiver to test, and horn is still off

Did I blow it?

What did I do wrong?

is there such a thing as a fuse in the horn or I will have to replace the whole horn?

Thanks in advance

Thiago

First thing you need to do is to check the jumpers (between the woofer and the tweeter) on the back of the loudspeakers on the terminal cup, chances are the binding posts are loose and you simply have an intermittent jumper connection and that is likely why you lost a tweeter. Do that before you start pulling all your cables out making a mess and getting frustrated because if that is the issue then all that other stuff won't make any difference.

Guys,

thank you so much!!! I am so relieved. Issued solved. To my surprise, it was reconnecting the cables in the speakers that solved the issue. As I hadn’t change that, I was reconnecting only the cables in the amp (and RCAs).

Thanks again!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Take my advice with a grain of salt if your speakers are still under warranty. I bought a pair of RF-5s about 5 years ago and got them dirt cheap because the tweeter wasn't working.  Turns out the connector hadn't been clamped properly and it was simply a loose wire.  I tightened the connection and been enjoying them for 5 years now. 

• 4 years later...
On 3/13/2018 at 6:51 PM, Loudly Does It said:

Take my advice with a grain of salt if your speakers are still under warranty. I bought a pair of RF-5s about 5 years ago and got them dirt cheap because the tweeter wasn't working.  Turns out the connector hadn't been clamped properly and it was simply a loose wire.  I tightened the connection and been enjoying them for 5 years now. 

What’s dirt cheap? And how did you fix the connectors, in similar position hoping they work with the connection