Need a replacement horn from a set of 1996 speakers

Pailmonkey

Hello. I got some speakers from my brothers and I now realize that one of the horns is busted. The part number is k-93-knw. 129051. Since these are 20 years old I cannot find this pet anymore. Is there any equivalent part that I could get to replace one. All of the other speakers work perfectly. 

image.jpg

I honestly don't know. I have tried to use the other wires to drive it but no sound goes through. I think the metal contacts are no longer sending current. 

Edit. Are there any comparable horns I could replace it with?

Edited by Pailmonkey

If the plastic “horn” is still intact you should just need a diaphragm.

Does the magnet(driver) have three bolts holding it to the horn?

Pictures would help too! ...You likely will only be able to post one picture with each post, depending on the size of the file...

Good news... sort of. You just need a new diaphragm. And it is a fairly commonly available one. 

You will want it to match the other one though. What I mean by that is there are at least three different ones available.

You probably only need to concern yourself with two of them.

Phenolic (looks like treated cloth) and poly(looks like rubbery plastic). Phenolic is the preferred option of these two, but you will want to match what is original, unless you purchase two and swap the other one as well.

Any of us on here that have purchased the third(best) option - titanium(silver) would have the above two sitting around collecting dust.

I have four off them I will likely never need, but live north of the border and shipping would be as much as the purchase price down there...

What speaker do the horns come from. Are you able to give us a picture with the grilles off?

Thanks!

Is the sound quality better with the titaniums? I found a place close to me that has both of them. I wouldn't mind upgrading if it does not mess with the larger speaker. I am assuming that k-93 and k-85 are similar but when I look at the replacement, they always skip k-93. 

image.jpg

Titanium is the best of the lot.

Before you buy a new diaphragm you may want to swap out the horn from the working speaker. It may be a component of the crossover that got fried. Just so you are not throwingg good money after bad.

What model speaker is it?

Picture??

You need to test the non-working driver for continuity with a multi-meter.  That will prove it is a bad diaphragm or a crossover problem.  Swap the bad driver for the working driver to confirm the bad crossover. 

Come back with the results.  Crossovers are not hard to repair if you can solder.

Oh yeah, those are worth fixing!

As to the PHENOLIC vs titanium debate, it usually is regarding the MIDRANGE unit. 

But yours are two-way so the tweeter is going lower, 1600hz crossover I think.

I don't know which would be best here.