TUBE DEALERS

JJT

I'll second Brent Jesse at Audio Tubes. I purchased some tubes from him, and have had no problems at all. His prices are fair too.

He also happens to be about 20 minutes from my house, so I got to meet the chap. Nice guy and he tests all tubes before sending out.

- tb

Thanks, for the recommendations. Recently aquired a EICO ST 40 and the rectifier tube is defective. Someone installed 2 diodes in the power supply circuit as a modification, in effect the diodes are used for rectification in place of the defective tube rectifier. I'm going to remove the diodes and install a working rectifier tube.

Joe T.

JJT,

What rectifier does the ST-40 call for ?? 5AR4 ? If so the current production 5AR4 worth buying at all is the sovtek Ned at the link I gave you Hot tests all of his to ensure you get a good one. But don;t expect it to last for more than a couple years depending on how much you use the amp. They cost like $11. Now NOS mullards and Amperexs and there variants last for decades litterally !! But you pay for them !

Craig

NOS440, the ST40 uses a GZ34 rectifier tube according to what info. I've found online at http://users.rcn.com/fiddler.interport/eico.htm This is a good site, schematics are available for downloading for numerous EICO products. I'm just getting into the tube thing, so I have alot to learn. Wondering if the the 5AR4 is interchangeable with the GZ34, from what I've seen so far I think they may be the same tube, but not sure? I've read that the rectifier tubes, depending on quality, do effect the sound. By the way the tube in the ST40 I have has no markings on it.

Joe T.