Should I use the Digital or Analog out on my CD player?

kantro21

This primarily speaks to the quality of the digital-to-analog converters (DACS) in the CD player and the preamp/receiver. Using the digital ouput uses the DACs in your receiver/preamp to decode. Analog output uses the CD player's DACS.

Without know the makes/models involved, it is difficult to say which may provide the better resolution. Can you hear a difference?

DD

If your ears can't tell you which unit's DAC is better, a good indicator may be the age of each unit. Digital to analog conversion technology has made some huge strides in very little time. As such, the younger unit may be the best one to use to convert digital to analog.

Another thing to consider, if your system is revealing enough, is the effects of digital jitter caused by sending the digital signal to a separate unit for conversion. Using the coaxial output (and any toslink output as well), requires the CD player to encode the signal in S/PDIF format to send to an offboard DAC. This encoding and the subsequently necessary decoding cause small timing errors that can degrade the sound. Conversion from digital to analog requires the arrangement/placement of the converted units of sound in temporal relationship to each other. Timing error (jitter) basically causes the right note to be played at the wrong time. Of course, this error is usually not very obvious unless you can compare a degraded signal with a less degraded signal with competent equipment.

The answer to this source of jitter is to use the CD player's DAC or to use a jitter filter between the CD-player-being-used-as-a-transport and the unit containing the DAC.

I love me some jitter talk!

I use my the digital out, but that has been part of the plan. Back when I bought the 5-disc carousel I opted to get the non-ES model (and saved some $) since it had digital output. I knew that I would eventually be replacing my A/V rec'r. Sure enough several years later I bought Sony ES rec'r, and since it's has much better D/A circuitry I started using the digital out on my CD player.

Well, I've switched over to analog, and i must say it does sound smoother, and the bass is much tighter. One thing i did notice is that the imaging doesn't seem as strong, but i h aven't really messed around with my speaker placement, so I guess I'll have to see. I'm going to stick with analog for my two channel enjoyment for now.