4K BD Player Advice

willland

Before I premise this question, wanted to state I love my Oppo 105 and it is not leaving my family room system anytime in the near future.  If I want to watch 4K BDs, I move my son's XBox One S to that system.

My wonderful and reliable 10 year old Panasonic DMP-BD30 is a bit dated even though it still "works".  By "works" I mean it is slow loading but "properly" plays 75% of the BD movies I put in it's tray.  It really struggles with high CGI content and some no CGI content movies.  So time for a new 4K player.  This is not a music system so no need for a high music quality player.  

Any suggestions for under $150.00?  I did find this for $99.00.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-up875-4k-ultra-hd-3d-blu-ray-player-black/5979504.p?skuId=5979504

Bill

1 hour ago, willland said:

Before I premise this question, wanted to state I love my Oppo 105 and it is not leaving my family room system anytime in the near future.  If I want to watch 4K BDs, I move my son's XBox One S to that system.

My wonderful and reliable 10 year old Panasonic DMP-BD30 is a bit dated even though it still "works".  By "works" I mean it is slow loading but "properly" plays 75% of the BD movies I put in it's tray.  It really struggles with high CGI content and some no CGI content movies.  So time for a new 4K player.  This is not a music system so no need for a high music quality player.  

Any suggestions for under $150.00?  I did find this for $99.00.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-up875-4k-ultra-hd-3d-blu-ray-player-black/5979504.p?skuId=5979504

Bill

I I had that Panasonic until I switched to the Samsung UBD8500. It’s much faster and has internet abilities. I can bitstream hd sound to my receive. So far I’m happy with it. Only bad part is the remote ....too small to use. I use my Onkyo remote so it is not a problem. Fast forward takes some time to get used to. My Panasonic was making strange noises and the Samsung is so much faster and worth the upgrade. 

6BF98EB3-768F-41B1-946F-2245CCEEF1DE.png

• Moderators

Just got a new one about 6 months ago and it works great, I got it for $159 on sale, I think it was and I was going to suggest it. Problem is when i went to look up current price they have gone up in price, I was thinking the opposite may have happened since it's not a new model anymore, looks like $220 is average.

It is a good player and the sound is a real improvement for music and movies over the Samsung I had, Samsung BD C6500 which was very slow, plus the Sony plays all disc including DVD A and SACD. The 4K UHD picture is surprising, it also streams so I watched some 4K from Youtube, great picture. I usually don't like Sony but I wanted to try the 4k UHD thing without spending alot.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/ubp-x800