A (probably silly) newbie question about a crossover...

Oicu812

23 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Like a modified E, with the exact instructions of desoldering/soldering in the original Super Heresy post. Not like a Cornwall B.

If someone buys a Cornwall B instead of modifying an E, the connections on both horns will be at 180 degrees out of phase (more properly, POLARITY) from my original. Not the end of the world, but different from what I actually did on yours.

OK, so please pardon my stupidity, but would the solution be to simply go to the network and reverse the outputs to the mids and tweets?

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

OK, so please pardon my stupidity, but would the solution be to simply go to the network and reverse the outputs to the mids and tweets?

Well, I never converted them to a B, so I say leave them alone, since they sound so good. But since you own them I would say open one up to make sure that is indeed the case. I'm 90 percent sure I left the E polarities the same, but you own the live, 3D, and color evidence to the possible contrary if my memory fails me.

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Yes, if someone did an actual B from a Cornwall schematic, then reversing the mid and tweet polarities would make them a Super Heresy modified E.

3 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Yes, if someone did an actual B from a Cornwall schematic, then reversing the mid and tweet polarities would make them a Super Heresy modified E.

Now that made the idea click into place rather firmly.  It is simply a “B” network with the squawker and tweeter being reversed.

12 hours ago, Oicu812 said:

Now that made the idea click into place rather firmly.  It is simply a “B” network with the squawker and tweeter being reversed.

Yup, you got it. Never tried a regular B, since mine evolved from an E. Autoformers do have phase behavior, so who knows if a modified E or a B is better. The beauty of simple networks is that it's very difficult to screw them up, which works in our favor for sure, eh?

• Like 1