conrad johnson results

Jim Cornell

So far so good, it really sounds great on my klipschorns!

Clear as a bell, wife says its so clear it hurts her ears ???????

Im looking for 1 Solvtec EL-34 the guy failed to say that 1 output tube was a golden dragon, and 3 were Russian solvtecs EL-34s, youd think theyd all match for the $745.00 i paid for this amp, all the caps were redone, poly, yes as stated!

MV- 50, upgrated to a MV-52, only it wasnt done in 1997, like he stated, if you look closer, the date is 1992!!

Carefull guys, i paid out my a@@@@ for this amp!

Regards Jim

4.gif

Dont worry as you can always sell this amp and try another tube option. Tube amps will sound amazingly different, and once you add in the different tube aspect, you get some interesting variations

As for the EL-34, are they SOVTEK EL-34WXT?

I would order a quad of backup EL-34 tubes (which may turn out to be your main EL-34 / As for type, there has been a lot of discussion on the other forums regarding EL-34 selection for CJ amps, some conflicting with common thought).

Jim, what is your preamp?

OK mobile this is where my post started, after seeing Deans amp, i really would like one of those, but anyway,!

3 Russian Slovtec EL-34 didnt remember seeing anything else on them, then this golden dragon, tube as the 4th tube!

I e-mailed the guy asking him why he didnt state there were 2 different output tubes, and so far no reply!!

The tubes were at least packed separately in the amp itsaelf!

Mobile, i didnt get the OK with the wife to get a Eico, she said no way, i have to listen to her sometimes, she said there to old, i do plan on sneeking one in here!

Im using the pre out on my pioneer SX 950 for a pre amp, i will listen to advise on a pre amp. Ive looked so far but not to hard!

For 45 wpc, this tube amp rocks!, Same volume level as the pioneer, but a lot clearer in sound!

I have to wait for a pre amp, were so broke right now, and i still have to send the Klf-c7 to Kjohn, if i dont get that out soon, hes ganna get pissed at me, so thats first on my list!

I shipped the academy, outlaw, RS-3-2s so far the shipping was, $100,00,that was more than we had expected!

The top end, seems to be a bit bright, not as bad as the pioneer, i think the brightness is coming from the pioneer still!

So ill work on a pre amp as soon as we can!

Regards Jim

Holy Pioneer! Jim, my ole pal, when you toss that Pioneer to the four winds, and replace with an acceptable preamp, you will do a back-flip at the sound upgrade! Man, I cant tell you what an increase in sound quality you will have across the board. Your wife saying it is so clear it hurts her ears is another way of saying it is TOO BRIGHT which is more than likely that Pioneer and mediocre source. Using something like that Pioneer with the CJ and Khorns is akin to putting rims and maypop retreads from a 78 Datsun B-210 on a Lotus Eleven!

What is your price range for an eventual preamp switch?

ps- After that, take a look at your sources

Yea tell me about it, i can barrow a phase linear from a freind i think ill go get it, its a pre amp, i think ill do that today!

I know this pioneer is a bright unit, i also know the conrad is a bit bright itself, so i have a bomb here!

I might have to wait for tax season for a pre amp, that or ill make a deal for the pre amp, im barrowing!

Does anyone know about phase linear?

Jim

9.gif9.gif9.gif

Well, I had a host of Phase Linear equipment while playing in various bands, all to run PA equipment. To be honest, I wouldnt bother with the trip unless it is sitting ready to roll, you have some spare time, and the unit is right down the road. Phase Linear can be pretty ruthless and their SS preamps/amps are not a favorite of mine and surely not the thing to cure brightness.

BTW, the CJ MV-52 is usually not considered a very bright sounding piece of gear. The MV-50 I heard last was actually a bit on the mellow side more aligned with a golden, warm type presentation. CJ in generaly errs on the more golden side of the spectrum on the whole.

Setup, cable, SOURCES (those CD players are culprits as well) and that preamp probably play a part. And the Klipsch Heritage top end is not well served with that front end and preamp.

I really dont think this is near the best preamp you can get for $1000 considering the tube choice. Right now on Audiogon, I would select the $650 Wright Sound WLA-12a over that DECWARE unit any day, especially if this model has the Hovland cap upgrade (you would have to email the seller). This is a great little preamp for this price and is very open sounding. Although it ultimately fell short of my highly modified Cary SLP-70 in a direct shootout, it was not by much; my Cary had a blacker background with more silence between the notes, a bit more extended bass, and just a slightly more sublime presentation. BUT, if not there for a direct A/B comparison, I could easily live with the Wright WLA-12a. I think it's a better unit over the DECWARE offering as the 6SN7 are lower distortion and more open natural tubes, also available in a variety of NOS offerings; I really like 6SN7 pramps.

The ZTPRE ONLY uses the Svetlana 6N1P tube. Period. At $1000 new, this preamp would not be a good choice (used it is better but good luck on the re-sale - They are hard to sell). Our good friend Max is getting some nice results with his unit but he got a great deal on a modified piece with different cap options.

WLA12.jpg

There are other preamps in the $1000 range that would make for a more sound investment. We have has several BIG preamp threads this summer with multiple pics and recs.

Here is the link to the Audiogon ad for the Wright Sound unit: Wright Sound WLA-12A Preamp

kh

Here locally the only thing i found so far is a dynaco tube pre amp for $250.00, i guess its the same year as the ST 70! I may have to deal with the brightness untill Feb, when i can afford a nice pre amp, then ill buy 1 and not 6 till im satisfied!

I just hope this pioneer doesnt hurt the tube amp, maybe ill just box it back up untill i get a pre amp!

Jim

Jim, I would really consider putting more ducats into your preamp. The little PAS3 is ok but is just not going to match something like that Wright unit above. I cant stress how important the preamp is to the overall sound of your system. The PAS3 will not equal the rest of your component quality. Neither, in my opinion, will something like the EICO preamp. Both will need work to match more modern options.

Ill wait, and just run the system calmly, till i have the money, then ill get a really nice pre amp, anyone using a sony surround reciever, really doesnt have the background for any advise into this subject!

I had one, and watched it fry very well!

I can still get the parts for the conrad johnson, in fact i callled them today, a tube kit is $213.00 for all 8!

Klipschorns are so efficient, they are bright, due to several ways, not just 1!

The pioneer was always bright by itself, i thought the tubes would warm the sound a bit so i was wrong!

No biggy!

My cornwalls were bright on the Mcintosh equipment i had, love the sound of horns EH guys LOL!

Why i kept the pioneer for 4 years well you got me, Ive had many!

Wonder how the chorus would sound on this setup LOL!

Maybe ill give it a try!

Regards Jim

The Khorns DEMAND GOOD amplification and sources. I didnt even LIKE Klipsch Heritage speakers until I heard them with good tube amps, ultimately SET in design, although there are obviously a host of other options.

Right off the bat, I will say DONT bother ordering a whole tube package from Conrad-Johnson! It is not the best selection at every spot and you will be spending TOO much for them to put it together, something you can do better, believe it or not.

Can you afford $600 for a preamp right now?

Right now, i can not, and im also not going to get more cj equipment just the amp, i didnt like the way i got it, mix match tubes!

The wife made it hard for me as far as an amp, i had to have her OK to buy one, so thats what put me where im at!

If it were up to me i would of Eico 81, and ETC!

Half the money!

AS far as the 600.00 what do you see?

Jim

Sorry moble thats the one on audiogon, no i caint do anything right now, this new hobby will take time just like the HT, only this time i want to be sure its ganna be right especially with Klipschorns!

Remember buddy the klipschorns are also new to me ive only had them for 2 months or less!

Even though its a little bright, it sure does sound good! LOL

Mobile can you tell i was thinking 2 channel, i have 4 amps on my list of equipment here LOL

Regards Jim