Why the factory never built oak LaScalas

HDBRbuilder

It just wouldn't have been COST EFFECTIVE!! I once asked PWK why he didn't just build a nice looking LaScala instead of going through the hassle of designing the Belle! He simply said that he "wanted a nice looking version of the LaScala to put between two k-horns, but the building technique of the LaScala was not conducive to being LABOR cost-effective if it was built as fine furniture. And...my Belle has lines more 'IN-LINE' WITH those of a k-horn!" Then he grinned...he loved those little puns of his!...LOL! Now I see what he meant about it being cost ineffective just to build the LaScala in a more-fine-furniture way...LOL! The way I see it, if the factory offered up oak LaScalas, they would cost at least as much as a pair of k-horns...probably more!! Why?

Well, when building up a LaScala, you not only glue up the joints when assembling them, but you also wipe glue INTO the seams as you build them...especially in assembling the doghouses and in the asembly of any other panel that goes into the bass bin assembly. When building them outta birch plywood, it is not really that much of a problem...birch veneer is relatively smooth and tight-grained, and it takes time for it to really soak up the glue from all that wiping the glue into the seams...therefore, after clean-up, it tends to be easier to sand out any glue residue left...getting right up to the seam itself....BUT!!!!....

OAK DON'T WORK THAT WAY!!! LOL! So you gotta put the finish on the panels BEFORE you assemble them up, and that finish needs to be fairly waterproof, since the glue used is water based. Ergo...polyurethane!!!

Anybody who has ever worked with cabinetry knows how fast oak veneer(or ash, or any of those "loose-grained woods") soaks up glue...and that it is not smooth-grained, so that glue gets into all the grain nooks and crannies. The problem with wiping up the excess is that if you use a soaked paper towel to do it (the standard method), some of the glue thins out and still remains...making it even harder to sand out, because it soaks even faster into the oak grain!!! It is a bear to sand out...and you have to be very careful NOT to sand it too flat and smooth or sand THROUGH the veneer...because it will show up when you add the finish...especially if stained!!

How can you get around that problem? Well, you can put the finish on BEFORE assembly...BUT...you gotta ensure that the GLUED SURFACES have NO finish on them, or they won't take the glue and hold!!! And that is what I am doing with these oak LaScalas!! Labor intensive??? Hell, YES!!!! Worth the effort??? Well...when you consider there have never been any OAK LaScalas BEFORE now...well...you get the point!!!

I hope that those lucky members who grab up these extra three pairs appreciate what it took to build them, because they are gonna be a STEAL at what I am asking for them!!! BTW, the finish is gonna be "Classic Oak" Minwax polyurethane satin finish...HAND-APPLIED with a brush...unless somebody claims a pair before I get around to finishing them and wants something else as the finish!!! Hint, Hint!! Two of the pairs are already in the process of getting the finish coats applied...so speak now or forever hold your peace!!! 2.gif

HDBRbuilder,

I've got nothing to say really concerning this particular post, but I just thought I'd tell you how much I like reading your posts throughout the forum. Your "insider" status really provides an interesting perspective. Plus, I have learned at least a little about the construction, finish and care of various klipsch models through your shared experience. Thanks, and keep it coming.

James, et.al...

"Thank ya...thank ya very much"...LOL!

Trust me on this...On this forum, I learn far more than others learn FROM ME. That is why I hang around. I am more than happy to contribute here from what experiences I have had. It is nice to know that others enjoy it, though! 9.gif

Some pics of the doghouses prior to having the finish applied have already been posted in the oak lascala update thread. Next pics will be of completed first pair...this coming week...sometime(hopefully). Look at it this way...if you have a kinda raggedy looking pair of LaScalas in yer living room, and the wife loves the sound but wishes they looked alot nicer...well..Christmas IS COMING UP, ain't it? Instead of staying up late Christmas eve assembling a bicycle (as many of you have done at one time or another), you can be installing the parts in these cabinets....then Christmas morning..."Here honey, 'Santa' brought these for YOU!! Merry Christmas!!" 2.gif