No Brainer Alert!

Deang

No brainer? Looks like some crimp on connections within and is basically totally stock cap wise. The paint job looks a little circumspect and the cutout solution was a bit lazy. IF me, I would look elsewhere. Unit might be working fine but this "totally re-wired by an electrical engineer" line is a bit sketchy. Why not replace some of the caps? Lordy. IT was probably rusted like a bastard and sanded then painted black (with a bit too much gloss I might add).

Spray Paint black and they will come!

Without the wood and spray paint, that damn thing wouldnt bring $275! Hey Dean, ever since you elected to go SET, you have gone loco! You might need MORE watts, knowhatimsayin'? heh...

But you are right, I have seen worse things for $375...

kh

See how you are? Dag gone pickey perfectionist:)

As one who has spent the last 3 months going through this damn restoration bit -- I can tell you there is at least $300 worth of labor in that thing.

No, the paint job is not the greatest, but it's not bad either. Good spray-painting is tough to pull off, and if you'll look at this amp again, you can see that someone took their time and at least tried to do a good job. The paint is not wrinkled or bubbled. This means they "dusted" it with several coats. Also, if there had been pitting or rust you would see it under the paint, especially on the transformers (which are clean, clean, clean). The underside of the amp looks really clean, and the wiring is laid out in a fashion that also looks like some care was taken. As far as the crimp ons go -- some people believe it's superior to soldering. The wood case may not have been built by a craftsman, but it was certainly built by someone who thought the amp deserved one.

To me -- it just looks like something someone thought enough about to take care of, and for $375 -- it sure isn't like they are trying to rip anyone off. They'd probably take $350 -- and someone will have a decent tube amp.

With all due respect Master Yoda -- try to see the bright side of things:)

Yeah, I was just basically giving you a hard time and reacting to the "no brainer" subject line. I came running in looking all around - hell, I thought the link was to $1100 Fi 300B Monoblocks! All that cutting and pasting left me feeling weak and forlorn when that ole Dynaco showed up. In all actuality, I had looked at that amp yesterday and was mad the goon didnt go the extra nine yards and mount the RCAs and binding posts on a plate on the wood chassis ala Welborne et al. Also, if going to the trouble of wiring that beast, the should have replaced the caps above and below. I think a nice chrome edition of the ST-70 would be worth more in stock fashion and at $375, they are around. But yes, it's a neat little amp and as you so aptly point out, at $350 or so, there can be worse options.

I am really mad at you cause you got me browsing Audiogon yet again... Holy Addiction!