KG-4's & KV-4 Center Channel

ThomasD.

So, I've traveled the 400 miles to pick up my 2 pairs of KG-1's that were on CL and now I see these listed while I'm down here:

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/ele/d/klipsch-package-2-kg4/6632247294.html

Price drop from $600 to $450.  Seller is firm @ $450. 

Will most likely be sleeping out with the Italian greyhounds for a while if I come home with them 😎 but I'm not sure I can resist.

I wouldn't hesitate if they were Heresey's or even KG-5.5's.  Will they be a close timbre match if I used the KG-1's  as surrounds?  Don't need the KV-4 but I believe it tends to be a rare find anymore.  Can't even find any specs on it anywhere. 

Leaving town Monday so need to decide if they are worth risking marital discord for by then. 

You guys talked me into the KG-1's now what's your take on these KG-4's?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

17fecf54653547bd9ae0779a82efc233.jpg

@carlthess40 there’s a lot of equipment in that picture.  Heresy mains?  How  are you using all those top shelf (KG-4’s?) speakers?  Dual centers?  Atmos?  What is that lower center speaker?  Looks like they’re powered by Marantz. Sorry for all the ??’s, I’m always curious about how others set their system up. 

9 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

I have a set and they play as well if not better the. My H1’s if placed right for the passive woofer Great deal for a set of four

Love my Polk SDA's with their front passive radiator & sealed cabinets.  Prefer non ported due to my preference (perhaps just perceived) for a tighter bass.  Been wanting to try Klipsch's rear mounted (drone) PR's. Thought maybe the KG-4's would be a way to get my feet wet with the rear PR's.  Forte's are what I think I really want to end up with.  Just waiting for them to become available at a reasonable price.  How position sensitive are the rear PR Klipsch's such as the KG-4 or Forte's?  I can put the SDA's right up against the back wall with front PR's.  I realize the rear PR's need some breathing room but how much normally? 

Edited by ThomasD.
Spelling

I get the best sound with them toed in and about 2’ fro. Side wall and 16” or so from the back. Now I have them up high in my audio center about 7’ high and 8feet from the back wall and still sound pretty good. I see prices of 500 to 350 for just one pair and they don’t look very hot

[mention=35591]carlthess40[/mention] there’s a lot of equipment in that picture.  Heresy mains?  How  are you using all those top shelf (KG-4’s?) speakers?  Dual centers?  Atmos?  What is that lower center speaker?  Looks like they’re powered by Marantz. Sorry for all the ??’s, I’m always curious about how others set their system up. 

That was my old setup with the marantz preamp and 5 channel amp. It had the Atmos and all that stuff. had to sell them off because I was going in for back surgery and needed funds for that.
Now I’m using a Denon AVR-X2200W
The center is a Yamaha S4115HII that I found in a dumpster. I stripped off all of the black paint that was on it for the pro line speakers and I put five coats of automotive type two stage paint ,five coats of base and six coats of clear coat
The KG4 were used as the front highs . Now they are no hooked up

48a0b1efc70f6dad682f201faaad488b.jpgff985c1018d01b6b9dd9c0aa5d25eae4.jpge377719564d3afc8647f3175f4eccf8d.jpg
  • Like 1

Used to have KG4's and think they sound awesome. Replaced them with Forte's and those required a lot more work to get them as good as the KG4's.  Used them in a small stereo room with KG1.5's in the rear; sounded excellent. :D No clue about the center channel ... had several but never got the sound right ... now using Heresy's as L/R/center on my AVR.

Here (in Florida) you can buy KG4's all day long.  Most people are asking about $400 for them, but don't think they get more than $300.  I am sure prices in Alaska are higher, so probably a decent deal with the center.

Cheers, Emile

add-on ... BTW, think the KG4's sound much better than KG5.5's :) 

I got the pair I have (kg4) for 80
I given them to my middle son and then he moved back home so now I’ve repo’ed them while he’s here. Lol
All 3 of my kids and my wife think I’m crazy with all my audio gear that I have
but about 3 years ago they stopped going to the movie Theaters
Because they like the sound at the house over the imax and other theaters around here. So they stopped thinking or telling me that I’m crazy. I’m sure they still think I am

18 hours ago, Emile said:

Used to have KG4's and think they sound awesome. Replaced them with Forte's and those required a lot more work to get them as good as the KG4's.  Used them in a small stereo room with KG1.5's in the rear; sounded excellent. :D No clue about the center channel ... had several but never got the sound right ... now using Heresy's as L/R/center on my AVR.

Here (in Florida) you can buy KG4's all day long.  Most people are asking about $400 for them, but don't think they get more than $300.  I am sure prices in Alaska are higher, so probably a decent deal with the center.

Cheers, Emile

add-on ... BTW, think the KG4's sound much better than KG5.5's :) 

@Emile  &  @carlthess40  With your input and suggestions I've gone & looked at them.  Not bad shape, grills & drivers all look clean and intact, typical glass/cup stain on top of one.  Offered the seller $300 for just the KG4's.  Don't know what I'd do with the KV4, it's a monster of a center channel with dual 8" drivers. May offer $50 for that.  Hoping the KG1's will work as surrounds with the KG4's.  They should look good together anyway.  Will know by tomorrow if he accepts my offer.   

• Like 1