Grille Arrangement on Older Cornwalls

triceratops

I recently inspected a pair of older Cornwalls that appeared to have the grille cloth wrapped around the speaker mounting board (aka motorboard) instead of mounted on a removable grille. Are other folks on the Forum familiar with this arrangement? Can the motorboard be removed to replace the grille cloth or is it glued and/or stapled into place? It looked like the previous owner cut the old cloth off with a box knife--nasty looking! I'm trying to imagine how much work would be required to make it right.

Thanks!

triceratops

The motorboards are SUPPOSED to be glued and stapled down to glue blocks!! The grille cloth is SUPPOSED to be on a panel in front of the motorboard. This only applies to the speakers with the inset fronts which have the mitered corners, and "D" style Cornwalls post-mid-1978.

Earlier "D" style Cornwalls had a "flush-front" design of cabinet(pre-mid-1978), and whenever grille cloth was added, it was stapled around the edges of the front of the speaker, then molding was tacked-on over the edges of the front of the speaker to cover up where the grille cloth had been added. The same technique was used for pre-mid-1977 "D" style Heresys, which also had a "flush-front" cabinet design.

Hi HDBR Builder,

Thanks for your help. The speakers in question are 1971 Cornwall Walnut Oiled (recessed front and mitered corners) but the grille panels are home-made looking, the grille cloth is incorrect, and the logos are gone. When I removed the grille panels (velcro attachment) I saw some fragments of the original grille cloth around the edges of the motorboard where it had been cut away. I really feel the motorboard should be removed (if possible) and the old grille fragments cleaned up and then correct grille cloth and logos reapplied.

Unfortunately, the veneer on these is in bad shape, too. I appreciate how much is involved in that area thanks to your earlier posts on that subject. By the way, when you use an iron to steam out dents, do you protect the wood with some fabric to prevent direct contact with the iron?

Best in horns,

triceratops

I don't use fabric, but then again, I have a light touch and can tell when it is time to pull the iron away...LOL! Use of grain alcohol and a match is the preferred method of some folks for getting out dents...but I prefer the water and iron thing. Either one will work, though.

That grille cloth may have just been glued and stuffed into the space between the speaker side insides and the motorboard...or just stapled the the side edges of the motorboard prior to its being installed in the speaker. They weren't using velcro in 1971, yet to hold on panels...but I can't tell without looking at it.

As for the correct logos for 1971, you are gonna be SOL...they would have been the PWK pie-slice ones, and they have not been available for quite some time! I have recently requested to Mrs. Valerie, that she consider having some of those pie-slice logos made up for those folks who need them, but...so far...have not had any response. Maybe if some of the rest of the forum members deluge her with requests, she will give it some serious consideration...she now owns the copyright to that logo. Her e-mail address can be found on her website: www.mrspaulwklipsch.com

HDBRbuilder- Could you elaborate on the "grain alcohol and match" technique for dent removal? I've never heard of that one...sounds a bit scary. Done incorrectly, it could be the "dental" removal technique?

fini

HDBRbuilder - While you're professing finsihing technique, could you please pass along any tips on removing waterspots, scratches and overall maintenance of oiled and varnished finishes for older klipsch cabinets? What's the best oil and conditioner to use? Also, I have a pr. of Khorns with minor surface cracking in the varnish. Is there any simple way to re-amalgamate the varnish? As always, your help is most appreciated. Thanks.