My Car, Totaled...And a GOOD thing!

Mallette

17 hours ago, Mallette said:

Drove over to Magnolia today to give my son the tour of SAU, my favorite choice for where I think he can get a full ride, a great undergraduate education, and have a wonderful time. Many changes since I went there...almost three times the enrollment...but the friendly faculty, staff, and students were still exceptional. We got voluntary info from a number who simply overheard us wondering about this or that. Met some current members of my old frat, who were rather blown away that I was VP and President during the stone age. Actually, my son was impressed that I went there when so many names on buildings were alive and part of the campus. It's a very special place...and listed by Newsweek and many others as one of the best kept, lowest cost, secrets in higher education. Proud to be a Mulerider!

Dave

Glad things worked out well for you and no one was injured!!!

Nice to hear that the old college is still doing well!! My mother went there and I went there for my Freshman and Sophomore years (1963-65); we lived in Lewisville when I attended. Of course, it has gone through several name changes and it was Southern State College when I was there.

22 hours ago, Mallette said:

Probably mostly us old timers. We recall when 50k or more was pretty much used up. Despite the nostalgia, no connection between modern quality and the old days. Granted, nobody ever changed their oil and such, but even then they just didn't hold up. 

Dave

I lived in Madison, WI in the 1980s, and this car was still on the road... with a million plus miles. Don't say they couldn't hold up.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1982/08/06/Cabby-drives-1956-Caddy-million-miles-seeks-world-record/4258397454400/

I didn't say "couldn't," if you threw constant attention to them. Still many here in Texarkana. But only a handful compared to modern engineering. If you wish to return to carburetors, point changes every 3k miles, muffler every 10 or so, timing, etc, please feel free. And that's just the short list. I used to carry points and a Weber carb rebuild kit in my VW as insurance, and rebuilt the carb on the side of the road once and changed points several times. They were awful. 

Dave

Dave, Dave... I'm just fooling with you.

I'm over 200k on my 2007 Subaru. Love the car (they still use a boxer engine similar to the old VWs). A friend in Atlanta put 450k on his Chevy pickup. Yes, really much easier with today’s technology, except there are things that were better left to be totally mechanical.

What model is that Nissan you got?

Bruce

11 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Yes, really much easier with today’s technology, except there are things that were better left to be totally mechanical.

Agreed. I put over 200k on two minivans, both Chyrsler built with Mitsubishi engines, and both were still reliable when I sold them. The Nissan is a Murano S. Pix and story of the "little old lady" in the first post.

Dave