AVIA Guide to Home Theater vs Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up

Kain

i almost got the avia dvd today at amazon.com, then i saw they had it bundled with the sound and visions for like $62. so i am oging to get that probably, but not for a while, not till i get myself my own system that the test would even be worth it on. my dad is angering me with his lack of interest in getting his HT finished... geeze, you would think that after paying for nearly half of it, he would be in teh mood to finish the job!.........

Here is what i have found on the HomeTheaterForum....I don't have S&V so i can't confirm if it really has DTS & 6.1 formats.

--The following was blatantly stolen from someone--

I would get the Sound & Vision calibration disk, its about $20 and has 6.1 and Dts audio tracks unlike Avia or.

Here's what the master himself says: Guy Kuo of Ovation

>>>You should get very similar results using the SV HTT patterns. The video test patterns were designed and built by the same person who did them for AVIA. That would be me. The basic signal levels on both discs are the same and should yield equivalent results.

However, I would suggest that you not quite follow the narrative in HTT for setting final white level. Instead, try to set contrast to the LOWEST setting which makes the white portion of the pattern seem white instead of gray. The professionally written narrative may mislead you into going for a higher contrast setting. The HTT narrative was written to be as easy as possible and not over explain things like AVIA does. The AVIA video setup narrative was written by the pattern creator rather than a professional script writer. That's why you notice the speech cadence and tone is so different in the AVIA video setup narrative compared to the rest of the disc. It was really odd to hear my own speach pattern but someone elses voice.

The HTT patterns are fewer but somewhat more refined than those in AVIA. Either should allow you to perform user level adjustment of the display. Since HTT hasn't been on the market very long, most commentary you see is still about how to use the AVIA patterns. The HTT patterns are close enough in design so you can usually use the information you learn from discussions about AVIA's patterns with HTT.<<<

-Dave