RF-3 speakers ... run with ONE woofer?

Emile

Just got some RF-3  from a member ... OK; just the horns, woofers and crossovers.  Trying to put them in a vintage stereo cabinet, but have some space constraints - plus one of the woofers is ripped :(  Anyone has any clue how "bad" it would be just to run with "one" woofer per side.  Woofers are 8 ohms and crossover has woofer "1" and "2" ... so no problem there (i think).

Many thanks, Emile

4124c44dddd94ca4a41b6e16cf1a3823.jpg

this is a 20 second sketch using the dang mouse, sorry it comes out looking like a four year old with a crayon, but I just wanted to mention you have all this room below the base of the console, to add part of a speaker enclosure, and make it into a console leg, albeit a hair wider lol 

speaker test draw plan B_LI.jpg

17 minutes ago, windashine said:

this is a 20 second sketch using the dang mouse,

Haha ... thanks! Yes, that was my original thought :)  But, as we try to do it we're running into minor problems :( (BTW think your sketch looked pretty good :D ) Problem is the motor-board(about 7" tall) is attached to the front "slats."  If I remove it I will never be able to get it back together :( So, was going to put a horn on this board and put the double 8" woofers on the bottom. Might work on "this" side, but the "other" side is much smaller ... horn will not align with dual woofers.  So; thought about "just one woofer."

Thanks a lot, Emile  

IMG_2152.JPG

No Rush, but I'm an seriously considering turning the build of a new shop bench, into a console.... I sold my 2x4 bench last week, and have a few designs for a wall cabinet with drawers inside, mounted on oak leg's, with a 2" curly maple top... which could house a 12 1/2" deep Marantz 2010, but I feel the pain you have with trimming the motor board for a larger diameter RF-3 set-up, which further correlated into a discussion with a bartender over here in Texas.

So, have you considered... wait, no, I mean Have you seen, no wait another second, I don't want to mention another speaker maker, but have you thought about making a unique speaker, unlike anything, out of brass, so you look at the next step, and consider a used "sousaphone" tuba, extending from each side.... (remember the RCA puppy listening to the first record player).... there's a few more details to be worked out which could be promising....

Fiddle-Hammer-Bellaphone-speaker.jpg

JumboGiant.jpg

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, windashine said:

So, have you considered...  a used "sousaphone" tuba, extending from each side.... (remember the RCA puppy listening to the first record player).... there's a few more details to be worked out which could be promising....

Haha,

Awesome idea! But, still struggling with my box ... will keep you updated :D 

Regards, Emile

What about super glue or something else similar for the ripped woofer that will never been seen?   I'm sure sans that one woofer, nominal impedance will change.  Tap it with a multimeter and see so you know what you are working with.   I think shoe goo may be another alternative if it is not be seen I highly doubt it matters. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2018 at 1:10 PM, Westcoastdrums said:

What about super glue or something else similar for the ripped woofer

Thanks! Yes; pretty sure that will work ... just want to be sure the "rip" doesn't get any bigger :D  But ... @teaman is sending me the horns/woofers from bookshelf SB3 speakers. About the same xo frequency .. maybe I can "mix and match." Haha ... one RF3 horn, one RF3 woofer and one SB3 woofer.

• Like 1