1989 La Scalas (Got 'em!)

Erik Mandaville

This just to share, and needs to be short, since I'm getting dinner ready at the same time...

I went to listen and look at the La Scalas mentioned a few days ago. The listening room was just on the small side, but the owner was doing the best he could with the space available. He also had an absolutely beautiful pair of K-horns in the same room. I brought along a tiny 4 watt tube stereo amp for the occasion, as well as some very well recorded CDs.

The first note made me literally jump out of my seat. Amazing speed, very articulate, clear, crisp -- extraordinarily present and lifelike. Transient response in both low and high areas was just incredible. My Lowthers are very, very similar in this respect, but don't handle complex musical passages (large symphonic/orchestral)as well, nor do the have to lower mid-bass impact, which I felt in my chest with kickdrum. The Lowthers are staying, since they are very, very refined for small jazz and classical ensemble (I just like them a whole lot.)

Fortunately I have space where the two pair of speakers can co-exist in reasonable visual and sonic harmony.

Question: It's very convenient to place my 2A3 monoblocks on the La Scalas to keep them near the Lowthers (La Scalas will be driven with the 4 watt stereo amp mentioned above.) Is there any reason or undesireable consequences of places the amps on the horns -- proximity of EM fields, perhaps? The 2A3s would not be used when the La Scalas are playing -- at least for now. My Lowthers are 15 ohms, and the horns are 8, and I'd need to use the 16 ohm tap on the OPTs for best matching between the two. Moreover the little ASUSA amp sounds amazing with the La Scalas.

...and this was supposed to be short!

I'm thrilled! Great price for the pair, only a little cosmetic issues to deal with. I must give credit to my wife Marie (always patient and encouraging) Who helped me get these monsters up the stairs -- we slid them up on their sides!

Erik

Glad they worked so well. So you are using that little ASUSA Single-ended EL-84 amp? I would be hard pressed to think that little tyke would be 4w but perhaps! If the 2A3 Moondogs put out 3.5w, then that little monsters is coming in around 2w at the most! Did you modify it? I almost bought one of those on sale when that company was going under as they offered it to me for almost nothing and I was going to run my computer system with it. Never came to be.

k2003.jpg

The little ASUSA K2003 Single-Ended EL-84 amp

Did you get a chance to compare the Klipschorns? I hope you got a listen.

I think it's smart to keep both speakers and you are evidently one of the few that would be able to have BOTH of those in one room! I think we all agreed in that thread that the La Scala would definitely handle larger works and GREATER volume with ease, something not in the Medallion Lowther dept.

It really is a shock to hear your first Klipsch horns in your own home; I was just not prepared for how much better they turned out to be then I had even imagined. They REALLY are magical with tubes, both SET and vintage. I love mine with the EL-84 integrated as well. I had such a prejudice against Klipsch before hearing them again myself with tubes. It was a near revelation at the time!

As for putting the amps on top, I think it would be passable as the Moondog transformers are on top and the tweeter horn magnet is down a ways. IT would be cutting it close but doable. I just would NeVER put the amps that would be PLAYING on top of them as the vibration would certainly have a negative result.

If you have any pics of your stuff, throw em up. Ditto with your new La Scalas. Man, at that price, you cant lose, even if by some chance you didnt like them. I only wish I had room for the various kinds of horns!

Welcome to the vintage Klipsch club, my ole friend. Next thing is you'll be wanting to mess with those crossovers! They can surely be improved upon, with differing opinions to go around. Get used to the beasts and let us know how they do with your gear.

kh

Congrats on your new Klipsch's! Please keep us up-to-date with your thoughts regarding the LaScalas, get used to them awhile before you start modding them but keep us posted. I have read your other threads with interest.

To echo Kelly...did you get the hear the K-horns with your amp? What amp was the seller driving his K-horns with?

Welcome to the "Klipsch" Klub!

Congratulations on the LaScalas. I keep thinking of them as the ultimate speaker for my little house (built in 1828) .. the only way to get horn-loaded bass into this small space. I've wondered about their "sound." Your report is helpful.

leok

Erik,

Congrats on the LaScalas. I saw some of your post on the 45 conversion in the Welborne Forum, but did not see your final solution. What is the current output tube and configuration of your Moondogs? I'm curious to know if you're going to try your Moondogs (as 2A3's)connected to the LaScalas sometime in the future? My current system is:

1975 Belle Klipsch

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs

Cary SLP90L Preamplifier

Asusa PP-1 Phono preamplifier,modified

VPI Aries Scout TT/ JMW 9 Tonearm/ Clear Audio Aurum Alpha cart.

Rega Planet CD player

AudioQuest Bedrock speaker cables

Silver Audio Hyacinth interconnects

I would be interested in comparing notes and exchanging sonic impressions.

Klipsch out.

Jazman,

Excuse me for my brain fart but did you get your Scout locally? I tried to search the forum because I know you posted about your selection process etc. but the search feature doesn't seem to be working right now.

TIA!

Ed

BTW...I just picked up another pair of Hyacinths'

mobile,

I'd love to have that little SE EL84 amp just for a small office/study setup if it was for a no blink price. I've got two spanking new Teles(haven't been able to find two more I could afford), Brimars, and a few others El84s that are looking for work.

Klipsch out.

"The first note made me literally jump out of my seat."

That's how I reacted when I recently heard them. After I jumped out of my seat I dove for the door.:)

I have yet to hear any Heritage on a tube amp. I can certainly see how it could make a difference -- but I can't believe it would make THAT much difference.

Don't any of guys like a little warmth with all that detail?

Hmmm.

edster,

The search feature kind of sucks but I found it works better if you don't use quotes when searching for a post by subject. I purchased my Scout from the Elusive Disc.

www.elusivedisc.com.

Bob Bantz is the President and the person who handles TT's,(analog) orders. He knows analog, knows VPI products, knows cartridges. Best of all, he set's up and checks all units before shipping them to customers. Get your cartridge there and he sets that up and tests it also. All I had to do was put the few pieces together, put it in place, plug it in.

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 10/15/2002 7:34:36 PM deang wrote:

"
The first note made me literally jump out of my seat."

That's how I reacted when I recently heard them. After I jumped out of my seat I dove for the door.
:)

I have yet to hear any Heritage on a tube amp. I can certainly see how it could make a difference -- but I can't believe it would make THAT much difference.

Don't any of guys like a little warmth with all that detail?

Hmmm.

----------------

Dean,

I don't know why you think there's no warmth in horns. Is it possible you mistake horn clarity as lack of warmth? I've tried to be aware of that as I assembled my system components and feel warmth is not missing. You will see, if and when you go with SET ampliciation, that it is possible to influence the sound in a number of ways. The "Ultimate Upgrade" option helps with my setup. My choice of amp output, driver and rectifier tubes, interconnects,speaker cable, line preamp, phono preamp selection and tubes have an influence also.

There's no intent by me to be combative on this issue, I just think you're making some assumptions. I know you have a love affair with your RF-7s which I will not argue. I seriously believe that if I could put you in front of my system, you would have to eat that statement above.

Klipsch out

Well this is another thread that is getting awfully far off the original topic...thanks for the link jazman. If I decide to upgrade from my MMF-5 I will give the folks at elusive disc careful consideration.

I may have more than one VPI dealer in town, but the one I know of for sure I don't really like to deal with. I wasn't sure how hard it is to put together properly, and if I would be better off dealing locally to get the support that I will probably need.

Congratulations on your new La Scala's. I have had mine for about 3 months now and have already started the tweaking process. I'm very lucky to have Forum member Q-Man within 1 hour driving distance from me, and have had the opportunity to hear many different horns as well as crossovers. He owns 3 pairs of La Scala's, 2 pairs of Khorns, a pair of custom made Imperials and a custom made University Classic. He has numerous other horns, drivers and crossovers,and we have played around with most of them.

I have upgraded my crossovers to ALK's because they are (imho) night and day better than the AL's that came with my La Scala's. I also bought a pair of Altec 511B's off of eBay that the K55-M driver hooks up to with a $5 adaptor. These sit on top of the La Scala's (I will have pictures shortly) and are more at ear level. They have a much wider dispersion (vertically as well as horizontally), are clearer and more open, as well as being about 3db louder than the K400 that comes with the La Scala.

Like others, I suggest you spend some time getting comfortable with them as they are. But I can tell you from experience, they can sound a lot better...

Mike