Klipsch Shorthorns - Need an amp...

shootcloser

Dear Friends;

Brand new member with an old set of Shorthorns.  My current amp is dead - an old and inexpensive Marantz - and I would like advice for it's replacement.  I listen to 98% digital media and 2% vinyl.  My understanding is the Shorthorns are pretty efficient but I am looking a solid state or sane tube solution that will bring out the best in these speakers.

Very much appreciate any and all help with this.  

Michael

I think the sound on these is pretty good!  I suggest a vintager tube integrated if you can find one, like Scott or Fisher.  Have it fixed up by somebody like Craig NOSValves if he's still in the business.  I've heard that a vintage Harmon Kardon is pretty good.

Which Shorthorns do you have?  12" or 15"?  What do the tags say? -- If they're still there, they'll tell you the finish and the drivers.  15" is nice, but either is a very nice sound, with limited bass, I assume better with the 15 (I've only heard the 12").

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 9/21/2018 at 5:45 PM, LarryC said:

Which Shorthorns do you have?  12" or 15"?  What do the tags say? -- If they're still there, they'll tell you the finish and the drivers.  15" is nice, but either is a very nice sound, with limited bass, I assume better with the 15 (I've only heard the 12").

I have a pair of "S.WO.15" Shorthorns so I am guessing this indicates the 15" Shorthorn model?  In any case I am grateful for your response and beg your forgiveness for such a tardy reply!  I'm on the hunt now for the right amp for these speakers.  And you're right, they sound wonderful!

Michael

IMG-0268.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Maybe you would be interested in this: I have an Acurus 75w per channel solid state amp purchased in mid 90s and a Transcendent grounded grid tube pre-amp. I lost both channels at once into a haze of static then silence. I suspected the power supply on one or the other but they checked out ok. I called Acurus to get a price on repair, they have a flat-rate of $250 to refurbish the amplifier plus shipping. It could probably use capacitor refresh .

The pre-amp can probably be checked out in a local shop since it's a fairly  simple 3 tube circuit. The filaments are glowing on all three tubes, it could be something as simple as the driver tube.

If you want to pay for shipping they are yours. The amp weighs about 50ibs.

You can get more info on the preamp on this forum: https://tubehifi.websitetoolbox.com/search search on grounded grid.

I have enough projects on my list, If I can get rid of these thats two less.

Edited by RickD
  • Thanks 1