Advice needed on upgrade

Gorn

I'm looking for advice on upgrading my speaker system.  My Home Theater System is Powered by a Marantz SR5008 running Klipsch RF25's, RC-25, and four RB-25's for surrounds.  Purchased in 2005.  Room size is 14 X 22.  I am wondering if upgrading my system to the new RP line (RP-6000F, RP-404C, ....) would give me a noticeable improvement in clarity or not.  I'm having difficulty hearing softer conversations parts on TV and movies without turning up the volume too high.  I am hoping the upgrade would help that or maybe as I am getting older, 67, my money should be better spent on hearing help.

• Like 1

You have nice speakers that should be paying nice and clear dialogue, really shouldn’t be a speaker issue, more of a setup problem. My Denon has adjustments that bumps up the level of the center, where most of conversations are heard during normal content.

I am not sure what Marantz calls this setting but I believe it’s called Dynamic Volume. This setting should be played with a little before you throw more money at the system. 

If if you have an itch to upgrade something, I didn’t see you list a subwoofer..

Thanks for the help, K5SS.  I have played with the Dynamic Volume some.  Don't really like it much though.  Seems to make things sound flat but I will keep working on it.  I listen to music with the system as well, both in stereo and Dolby IIx and don't like it at all for that.  I do have a Klipsch 12SW  which replaced my 12" Velodyne that died about 6 months ago.  Sound overall is good just my hearing might be faulty.  Thanks again for the advice.

Not a problem at all!

I owned a quite a few original Reference gear, along with some References Premier gear. I did prefer the RP over the Reference sound but it definitely wasn’t a night/day difference.

With that said, if it’s in the budget and you have the room, I am sure running 3 RF-7 III’s across the front would sound night/day better:) 

I am in the camp where the center most important speaker in the system.  I also think the front 3 should match, if space isn’t an issue.  

My center is set louder than the mains, more so than most people I'd guess.  

Sometimes the content is to blame. There have been many movies where I have to turn it up for conversations, then down again for actions scenes. The contrast can be too much for my tastes. One example is Public Enemies (2009). Nasty!

Maybe a 3 way model would bring out the voices more for you, like a front stage of Heresys.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:17 PM, Gorn said:

I'm looking for advice on upgrading my speaker system.  noticeable improvement in clarity  I'm having difficulty hearing softer conversations parts on TV and movies without turning up the volume too high.  I am hoping the upgrade would help that or maybe as I am getting older, 67, my money should be better spent on hearing help.

I would recommend finding a RC-7 or RC-64 II center speaker you could leave everything else the same and should be a close match those center speakers are very clear and crisp detailed with high sensitivity overall clarity I think leans toward the 64 II but at the expense of bass response of the RC-7 both are great and can't go wrong with either one though I personally prefer the RC-7 it's the most tower like sounding small speaker made by Klipsch IMO.