Review: Monster Power HTS5000 (Long)

DrPyro

Monster Power HTS5000

I just purchased a HTS5000 and wanted to post my opinion about the equipment. First of all, I'm not a fan of Monster, I think they are over priced and superhyped and probably don't have the quality of other option. Now you ask, why the heck did I buy it? Well, the HTS5000 has a few features that are not available on Panamax, Furman, Triplite, etc. products. I was looking for a surge protector with around 10 power plugs (atleast 2 digitial, 2 Video, 2 Analog, & 2 High current) with some filtration and a trigger. Most of the companies that I listed have those features, HOWEVER, the Monster allows for 2 different trigger methods 1 DC (3 - 30 Volt) and 1 AC trigger. Currently I use a Reciever while my ACT-3 is getting repaired, so the AC works great for the reciever and the DC trigger will hopefully work with the 5V trigger of the ACT3. Furthermore, there is a 12V trigger out so you can trigger Amps that are not connected to the HTS5000. Finally, each pair of power outlets can be individually selected as "Always On", "Switched without Delay", and "Switched with Delay". One down point is that the Delay is univeral at 6 or 20 seconds. Everything works as advertised, and its kinda cool to be able to see how much my power flucuates (last night it flucuated from about 120V to 125V).

But how does it work???? Well, a bit of history first. Like most ppl, I have a ground loop problem that was a result of my cable TV. To fix the ANNOYING humm, i used a cheater plug on my Samson Amp, no big deal and a $2 fix. While some individuals have reported that both the Panamax and Monster had fixed this problem, I wasn't holding my breath for the HTS5000 to solve the problem. Secondly, I had a fair amount of hiss from my speakers, most notably when i cranked the volume up when no source was selected. I thought that this was due to noisey amps & DSP. To protect my whole system I was using a rather expensive Triplite surge protector. OK...now how does it work/sound...First, the filtering works quite nicely since my background noise has decreased by an order of magnitude, which surprised me! Next, I don't have to use the cheater plug on the amps to remove the humm, another pleasent surprise. However, not everything is perfect. The unit humms slightly, which I can hear from my listening position. Its just barely audiable and you can't localize it, but you think "Something doesn't sound right". Secondly, there is now a buzz from my speakers. Its most notable from the main's horn (RF3s). Its not nearly as high of a frequency as hiss, but its still present from the horn.

(As i sit here typing this, I realize that i didn't hear this noise prior to pluging in my cordless phone in...I'll have to check if that is the source of the noise)

Overall, the HTS5000 is a nice piece but NOT worth the $600 price tag that Monster puts as the MSRP. If you can get the unit for say....$400, then I feel that its worth it. But I'm all for authorized dealers, you pay for it, but definately worth the extra expence if you have trouble, IMHO.

Cheers

-Dave

PS: After this experience, I can defiantely understand the advantages of Balanced power.....Too bad I'm not a millionare to scratch that itch....7.gif

dave, glad you like it pretty much. i have an hts2500 i got when i had my acurus 200five. the trigger worked fine off the b&k pre/pro so that 5V dc from the act should be fine. ended up getting a b&k 7 channel amp that has its own trigger so i use that now but still use the 2500.

as far as your current buzz, does it go away when you disconnect the cable tv where it comes in the room? & are you using a cable tv ground isolator? if not, something like the mondial magic isolator may eliminate it so you don't have to use a cheater plug.

also do you notice any smell from the monster box? only thing w/ mine is the b&k pulls some serious ampage & at times the box will heat up some though - it's rated to 1800 watts, 15 amps.

monster i think does do a quality job on their power centers. also have richard marsh who helped in the design.

I was thinking about geting the HTS 2500 or 2600. But I heard it can sometimes increase the bass but also dampen the highs. Did you hear any change in speaker sound? Do I really need one if my system sounds good. My only problem is that I have a hum from my subwoofer. I have a Denon 2802 AVR receiver, Denon 270 CD player, a VCR, TV, and DVD player, so I was wondering if I should get one or not because unlike most people I dont have lots of amps and stuff so I was wondering if I even need one or if a regular surge outlet would work fine(which I have now). I live in a newer house and apt. so I should have good wiring in the walls too.

Boa-

I tested several options that might be causing the buzz, however it isn't the cable TV ground loop problem, nor is it my cordless phone. What I think it could be are three different things. First, I could have very dirty house power (I'm in an apartment) which the filters can't clean up. Secondly, the filters have removed a good portion of the line noise so I'm hearing a "more true" DSP only noise. Finally, it could be generated by the Filters themselves. One thing that I have noticed is that its almost completely independent of the volume knob....so it kinda beckens that its the result of something connected to the system causing some feedback. I'll test more this weekend.....

The really nice part is that this has removed the cable TV ground loop problem completely so I don't have to use a plug converter.....

No smell yet, but only the samson amp is connected. However, when I get my new amp, it could start smelling...I'll keep an nose out for it.

zandern-

I don't believe that a Monster power center can increase base or dampen hights nor any of the other power stuff (Balanced Power, Votage stabalizers, power conditions, etc).

What I do believe that they can do is decrease the background noise associated with various power problems. (Which i did observe). However a poorly designed filter/system can cause various audible problems. If the fiter is SO strong, then it can choke a component of the power it needs.

IMHO, the real advantage of a Monster power center is the surge protection and the 10 outlets that makes pluging in all of our assorted gear very easy.

BTW, it sounds like you do have a ground loop problem, hence the HUMM in the sub. I assume you have Cable TV, which is almost always the problem. Unplug the cable tv from the wall and see if the humm goes away. If it does, then there are two'ish solutions. First get a fitler/ground isolator for the cable line (such as the Aragon M.A.G.I.C filter or the Monster/Panamax power centers have some filtration that may or maynot work) or the cheap solution is get a 2 prong plug converter. Really the house wiring is nominally not the problems, but the power supplied to the house.

For me, I was replacing a "standard" computer surge protector (Triplite Isobar ~$80 when i purchased it years ago). It had different filters, but obvisouly they weren't doing nearly the job that the Monster did, since my background noise droped by atleast an order of magnitude.

Hope this helps.....

-Dave

dave, still sounds like a ground thing but you have the trouble shooting down. if you can isolate it to a certain connection, www.jensentransformers.com has an isolator for every type connection.

for zan, dave said what i would have. just try a 3:2 cheater on the ac plug of sub 1st. if that doesn't do it another interconnect. or jensen transformers above has an isolator specifically for a sub interconnect. & yeah, the hts2500 didn't do much for the audio except filter out some ac noise. try to demo one & see if its worth it. i got it mainly for the switching for the acurus amp i had at the time.

DrPyro,

Glad you discovered AC conditioning in this light.I had since a few years had a minor buzz in my Dynaudios and never did anything about it.Since I got the Klipsch R series I noticed the buzz became much stronger(louder)for obvois reasons.Then one day I got fed up to the point of spending money on a PS Audio AC conditioner,it worked to my surprise.I purchased another and now I have PS Audio,Monster and Chang LightSpeed AC continioners in my systems.All the buzz is gone and I swear I can hear the sound improved(both with the Klipsch and Dynaudio).Placebo effect? Dont think so

As of now I did spend a few dollars on these gizmos,working gizmos.

Sometimes even the most expensive AC conditioner does not eliminate tyh buzz,like I doiscovered with the ATI amps.I had to twist the rear channel speaker cables to eleiminate the buzz!Whacko but worked and still holds to this day...no more nasty irritating buzz.1.gif

Boa-

I'm completely taking my system apart next weekend to install everything in a Salamander cabinet that I just ordered. So I'll do some serious testing to find that darn noise source. But the more I think about it, I think its an inherant problem with the Monster.....but I await to be proven wrong next weekend.

Just for a 9.gif )I have a power transformer here in my lab, I might give that a try to clean up the power (Muhahahaha)

-Dave