Where to go next with my Heresy IIs

wuzzzer

Without boring you with the details my health has taken a turn for the worse and I have a lot of time at home lately.  Thinking of enhancing the sound of my 1990 Heresy IIs.

They have Bob's titanium tweeters and Klipsch titanium midrange.

I want to be able to do these things myself and I don't want to hurt their future value should I decide to sell them.

Things I've considered:

-Sealing the cabinets better

-A little internal bracing

-Adding polyfill or something similar

I kept the OEM diaphragms to return them to stock if I ever sell them and the buyer wishes them to be that way.

What are your thoughts about sending the crossovers to Bob for a rebuild?  I know there's a mod that can be done for ones who have changed their midrange to titanium but I don't really want to do that and then potentially have to change it if the midrange is returned to stock.  I know entirely new crossovers can be built but I like the cost of having the originals rebuilt much better.  I had Bob build new crossovers for a pair of forte II and rebuild the stock crossovers for a pair of KG4 so I'm very familiar with his work.

I'm not looking to deaden the sound by any means.  Looking to tighten up the bass and end up with more detail all around.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, baron167 said:

What stands, if you don't mind? A picture perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're discontinued Parts Express stands from several years ago.  Super heavy and I filled them with sand.

Sanus makes a set that's very similar.

1128181813.jpg

• Like 1

The obvious thing to do would be to upgrade your Heresy IIs to Heresy III spec.  I did that to one of my 1989 Heresy IIs and was very happy with the results.  I only did one because I use it as a centre speaker, and its brother sits in another room in case it’s ever needed.

The Heresy III kit from Klipsch cost around $300 back in 2008 when I bought it.  It’s the most complete kit you could imagine.   It includes a new tweeter with horn, a new squawker driver minus horn, a new woofer, and a new and much updated crossover, which includes a new biwire-ready terminal plate.

The only parts left from the original Heresy II are the mid/squawker horn and the cabinet.  The sensitivity goes up, from 97 dB/W/M to 99 dB/W/M, and the bass limit goes from 63 Hz. down to 59 Hz.  Those changes may look small, but they don’t sound so small.  The speaker’s performance is improved in every way, including clearer vocals and a slightly “bigger” overall sound.

It’s a complete drop-in package, so everything works perfectly together, better than most mix-and-match upgrades would, and it becomes a true Heresy III.  I highly recommend it.