How long for DVD's??

Mighty Favog

I just bought "Merlin" tonight and was only able to watch about half of it. As I was putting the disc away I looked at the total running time. This thing runs 182 minutes!! That's over three hours on one side of one disc! Then it still has the gratuitous section "The Making of Merlin". Wondering how thi smuch information was put onto to one disc I learn that they used someting called "Reverse Spiral Dual Layering". Does this mean the laser can play the movie all the way across the disc, come back and play a deeper layer running across the same area of the disc again??

This is interesting....

could this be the wonders of multilayered disks?...

some dvd's are 4gb some are 7+

multilayered discs are great, only problem is that even some of the best dvd players can not make the switch seamless. the first layer is semi transparent, the second is solid. once blue lasers are more popular, dvd's will be 20+gb single layer!!!

they have flourescent discs now that can hold over 140gb!!!!!!!!!! do you know how that could revolutionize home audio/video? NO COMPRESSION ON MOVIES AND AUDIO!!! they are clear also, look JUST like the fake cd's in CDR stacks.

I can't remember the actual technical terms. But I do know that there are two types of dual-layer.

One reads the first layer all the way across, goes back and alines to the 2nd layer, then reads across it in the smae direction.

The other type will read the same way. But when it comes to end of layer,It alines to the next layer at that point and reads it in the OPPOSITE direction.

It is amazing how they get so much content onto a disc. take the T2:Ultimate Edition for example. Single disc version of course. I have the single disc and have a friend that has the 2 disc set. I compared the 2 boxes. Both versions have the same content!