La Scala/Belle Crossovers AA AB AL-3

DillonW

I tried mod 1 & 2 on one of my AA's. I think I might have heard some difference, like in the upper bass region (?) after mod 1 (the screw). However, I heard no diff after mod 2. Will try adding 4uf tonight. Was curious how Solen fast caps would 'jive' in parallel with the AA metal cans? (Not the oil AA's)

Hi Randy,

Nice try, mixed the "2.2uF Hovlands in parallel with the 2uF metal PIO caps",

you may get the best from both world.

It is another area not so well studied so far with two group of people claiming their finding without trial on a fair basis, I seem to like this word from now on- FAIR BASIS.

The quality and price of PIO caps varies so much, take the similar price range parts to make the comparison, or if price is not a concern , have the best from both world to compare.

I have PIO from swiss, audionote ,TTC at hand to try only if I get my 3619, my autotransformer is T4a not T2a at hand, no information about it, I won't use it in my new crossover.

Good Luck

Tubelion

Tubelion,

I have just finished rebuilding my type A with the original oil caps from my AA networks.I have found the sound to be more mellower than with the Hovlands and Multicaps but have found a solution for that too.I have replaced the Mullard EL34's(large base xf1)in my Marantz model with Amperex(double D getter)which added more detail.I could'nt listen to the Amperex before(with the Hovland and Multicaps) since they sounded too agressive for my taste and now I can really enjoy them.

My next try would be to replace the 2mf oil with the Hovland and leave the 13mf oil in place.

Hi Guy,

your next move is promising, as the Hovland may provide more details in the high while the oil caps should be more musical in the mids.

I remember the day (and night) when I was a junior doctor, I have no energy to do anything else after 32 continuous hours'work but experimenting my stereo, it was fun.

Also in hong Kong, being a small city, we are able to hear different set up and we are lucky to have most good brand tube and SS just across one street, I then become a commited tubephile, tube is much better.

NOS tube , transfomer and oil caps are just wonderful, I am collecting as far as I can, tubelion is my name on ebay.

Let us know your result, it will be great to guide me further for good music.

Good luck

SZE

Tubelion,

Last night I have replaced the original 2mf cap with the Hovland and really like it.

I think that it gives the best balance.The mids are big and airy and the highs are very detailed.I think that I will leave it like that for the time being.

I think that you can use the T4 transformer to rebuild your network as well since it was used to match your midrange driver.

Regards,

Guy