Watching Laserdiscs on your HT??!!

MagnumMan

I am wondering how many out there are still using laserdiscs in their home theater?

I am still a fan of laser. I just watched Titanic (DD) and Armageddon (DTS) on laser this weekend. Awesome!! I will never buy these two movies on dvd! I will admit that some LDs don't have the picture quality of dvd. But the DTS LDs I have will give dvd versions a run for their money. But when it comes to sound, LDs are superior to dvd,hands down.

I love the dvd format,but have to complain that some studios do not know how to handle it. Too much compression. I like bonus materials,but think some go overboard with it. I see so much useless stuff on discs. That is why I believe Pearl Harbor dvd could have been better. Even the DTS track was disappointing.

Hats off to Columbia TriStar for bringing out the SuperBit line! For those of us that want pure quality instead of a load of crap!

Earlier this year I paid about $100 for a copy of Blade (DTS) on laser. WOW! It totaly blew away the dvd!

It is such a shame that LD never caught on and made it big. I personally wish that they could have used some of the dvd technology and applied it toward LD.

Yes Yes I love my laserdisc's. I started getting into LD about 11 years ago.

I currently have about 125 LD's. I find on the newer LD that I bought just before they started to disapear were both excellent in sound and video. In fact I bought a Pioneer LVD 909 to replace my older Pioneer LD. The newer Pioneer I bought plays both LD and DVD's. I had so may LD that I felt I would be doing myself some injustice to get rid of them thats why I opted for the 909. I since have bought a dedicated DVD/Audio player. Granted I have bought a few DVD's of the same LD titles but have found only a slight difference in the video and audio performance. Altough the AV performance of my Techniques DVD/Audio machine is miles ahead in performance over the DVD playback in the Pioneer 909.

This might be a stretch but have any of you with LD's have Grover Washington Jr's 1981 concert? I think it had Steve Gadd (drums), Anthony Jackson (bass), Eric Gale (guitar), Richard Tee (piano), Ralph McDonald (percussion) adn others I don't remember.

This just came out on DVD not too long ago and the sonics and the video is total trash!! Is it that way on your copy? The only reason I bought it because it has a pre-released version of "#5" or now called "One the Dark Side". The first version was a lot slower paced which gave it a certain.....well.....Magic.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005OCMQ/qid=1035492269/sr=8-5/ref=sr_8_5/103-7394131-4855809?v=glance&n=507846