The elusive System Synergy. RIght klipsch in the right system story.

LyleS

Bear with me  little context is needed:

I bought my klipsch KT-LCR based set of speakers 20 years ago. 

I have had and sold 2 pair of La Scala. :( used heritage make a great rainy day fund. 

I have had and passed to family two pair of heresy 1. 

After my divorce I moved to a smaller place  with a 13 by 15 ft living room open to kitchen on one side. 

The la scala overwhelmed the space physically and sonically. 

I tried to love the heresy 1 in this room but while great for movie just not what I wanted for music. 

I just purchased a beautiful set of used klipsch RF5 in black. Spent hours last night loving them using Tidal to play a variety of tracks and artists. 

The little discussed KT-LCR will be center and surrounds. For 5.1 I used an Svs 20-39 pci sub now. 

I tried to like some maple klipsch rb3 II as main music speakers but the rf5 are just a whole big step up in stereo enjoyment. I listened in pure direct mode without the sub engaged. 

My marantz sr7009 is paired with Acurus a125x5 amp. 

I know now this is a bit of a story. But I just wanted to remind those who are quick to suggest their favourite heritage as the answer to all upgrade questions that each room and associated equipment may be best served by one of the great products in the reference or other lines. 

You won’t know till you try. 

So I sold the KT-DS surrounds to one of my kids friends years ago. I am now wondering what to use for atmos rear and front height effect to try out the atmos capability of the Marantz??

• 1 year later...
On 3/2/2019 at 10:03 AM, LyleS said:

Bear with me  little context is needed:

I bought my klipsch KT-LCR based set of speakers 20 years ago. 

I have had and sold 2 pair of La Scala. :( used heritage make a great rainy day fund. 

I have had and passed to family two pair of heresy 1. 

After my divorce I moved to a smaller place  with a 13 by 15 ft living room open to kitchen on one side. 

The la scala overwhelmed the space physically and sonically. 

I tried to love the heresy 1 in this room but while great for movie just not what I wanted for music. 

I just purchased a beautiful set of used klipsch RF5 in black. Spent hours last night loving them using Tidal to play a variety of tracks and artists. 

The little discussed KT-LCR will be center and surrounds. For 5.1 I used an Svs 20-39 pci sub now. 

I tried to like some maple klipsch rb3 II as main music speakers but the rf5 are just a whole big step up in stereo enjoyment. I listened in pure direct mode without the sub engaged. 

My marantz sr7009 is paired with Acurus a125x5 amp. 

I know now this is a bit of a story. But I just wanted to remind those who are quick to suggest their favourite heritage as the answer to all upgrade questions that each room and associated equipment may be best served by one of the great products in the reference or other lines. 

You won’t know till you try. 

So I sold the KT-DS surrounds to one of my kids friends years ago. I am now wondering what to use for atmos rear and front height effect to try out the atmos capability of the Marantz??

Just came across your post, just purchased a near mint Acurus A125 to mate with my Denon X4700... Interested to hear more about your set up... I am running the same RF5's and RC7, and RS3's for the surrounds 

26 minutes ago, Majestictone said:

Just came across your post, just purchased a near mint Acurus A125 to mate with my Denon X4700... Interested to hear more about your set up... I am running the same RF5's and RC7, and RS3's for the surrounds 

@LyleS has not posted in close to 2 years so I will give it a shot.

I have owned many Acurus amps(A100, A100x3, A150, A150, A200, A200, A200x3, 200x3, A250, A250, 200FIVE, 200FIVE), over the last 10 or so years and have been very pleased with their performance and reliability.  Cool running, great bass drive, very detailed.  I have used them for stereo playback as well as currently using an Acurus A200/A200x3/NAD T175HD combo with my RF-63/RC-64/RS-35s combo.  No reason to change a thing anytime soon.

That Acurus A125x5/Denon X4700 combo should bring you much joy.

Bill

Hey Bill,

Thank you the reply, I had noticed that OP hadn't been on since 2019 but was hoping someone would chime in. Now, I am thinking of adding a couple RS7's to the system, I've been reading up on the manual of the X4700 and from what I understand when running the A125, I would change the setting to "preamp" so the Acurus would run the 5 channels. If I add the RC3's making it 7.1 instead of 5.1 as my rears and plug them into the X4700, with the receiver acknowledge the rear channels and send power to them since I changed the settings to preamp?  My viewing area is relatively small 15'x15' and my TV including the front's "LCR" are 15' from my sitting area.... By adding the RS7's am I adding something more than needed ?    I know this subjective to everyone's own opinion but would like some insight on this...  Thanks again....

Albert

10 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Your Denon will power those additional speakers, and let the A125 power the 5 channels. Re-run Audyssey, it will level them all out. That A125 takes some of the load off of your Denon.

Thanks Bud,  so do I still change the setting on receiver to preamp and just plug the rears in and let it rip ?

1 minute ago, Majestictone said:

Thanks Bud,  so do I still change the setting on receiver to preamp and just plug the rears in and let it rip ?

I'm not quite sure. I added an external amp to a Yamaha and it was active upon plugging it in, nothing to switch, but I wasn't powering additional speakers from the AVR.

5 hours ago, Majestictone said:

do I still change the setting on receiver to preamp and just plug the rears in and let it rip ?

5 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I'm not quite sure. I added an external amp to a Yamaha and it was active upon plugging it in, nothing to switch, but I wasn't powering additional speakers from the AVR.

I have a preamp processor now but when I was using an Onkyo and then NAD AVR, no changes in the settings were required to activate the preamp section.

Denon AVRs may be different.

Bill

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, willland said:

I have a preamp processor now but when I was using an Onkyo and then NAD AVR, no changes in the settings were required to activate the preamp section.

Denon AVRs may be different.

Bill

Bill,

We will see when it arrives next week.....  I need to stay of the boards, I've spent a small fortune in the past month....