Arghh! Blown speakers?

AlanN

my guess is that you blew the fuses on your receiver. The reason that this would happen is because you had the volume all the way up and when you hit the power button, the receiver immediatly demanded a huge amount of power. Therefore this would cause the unit to overload and probably blow the fuses. Just open up your receiver, take the receivers out that are closest to the power supply, and use a voltmeter to test the fuses. Put the voltmeter on ohms any setting and every fuse should read 0 ohms or close to no resistance. If they read anything other than i would make sure you buy the exact same fuses and replace them. The only possible thing that you could have done to your speakers by doing that is warping the woofers, but since it probably happened so fast that you couldn't change the volume i'm almost positive you blew the fuses. Can you still turn the receiver on? Even if you blew your speakers out, most of the time they still make noise, unless you really really wrecked the voice coil. But Klipsch rf-3's, i think would be able to withstand everything that your sony puts out. Let me know what happens.

Thanks. But the subwoofer still works (tho not surrounds or B system) and routing the VCR outs from the receiver to the TV, i do get sound from the TV (tho one of the connections seems to make a loud humm. ) i did start to turn the sound down on the receiver but didn't get far before it went silent...

How many watts pre channel is the sony?

It does sound like it went POOOFF!

Do you have another reciever to test the speakers?

I dont think its the Klipsch, ive pumped some serious volume into the chorus, all is fine!

If you turn a reciever up all the way and turn it on, it will fry!

So keep checking.

Jim

As a tech I would troubleshoot this way:

I will assume that you do not have a different amp or receiver handy but you likely have a AA or AAA battery at your disposal:

Disconnect the speakers from the receiver and momentarily touch one speaker lead to the " + " terminal of the battery and the other to the " - " terminal. You should hear a loud thump from the speaker being checked. Repeat for the other side. If you get the thump you can be reasonably sure that the problem is not with the speakers but with the amp.

I would also be likely to connect the speakers one at a time to the output connections of a Ghetto Blaster to determine whether the speakers were in operating condition. This will not give you audiophile sound , (although you will likely be suprised at the volume that is produced ).

I am inclined to agree with Jim that the problem rests with the amp if for no other reason such an accident might blow a single speaker but damage would be unlikely to occur to both and/or the sub. In any event the damage would more likely be to the tweeter as opposed to the entire speaker system.

P.S. Was a change of underwear needed after that initial blast ?

Maybe something that has a preset volume at power on....

i guess your smiley means there's no such thing. sure would get one if there were...

well the good news is, the RF-3s are working fine on a backup receiver, and the 2 year warranty of the sony DB-840 means i made it with 2 months to spare.

now if only tweeter would beat the 4-5 weeks repair time they quoted me so i can get dolby digital again!

thanks again everyone! AlanN

1.gif

Glad to hear that everything worked out so well. 4-5 weeks of warranty work is better than having to hunt for new equip, and a lot cheaper.

And yep, they do make preset volume controls. The Anthem that I'm using has it, and I like it for more than kid proofing. It's a nice re-assurance that whenever it comes on. It's adjustable and set to -46. Also has an adjustable max limiter that keeps it from mysteriously creeping up after I've had a few to many to late at night. Funny how the volume tends to increase with each drink. Must be some sort of corrilation there.