Help, K77 tweeter down!!

jazman

Why is it when I plan to change networks in my Belles, my darn tweeter diaphram goes belly up?

Does anyone have a K-77 they are willing to sell?

BTW, I noticed this just last night. Tried all other troubleshooting possibilities hoping for a simple fix. By disconnecting all horns I was able to determine no response from the one tweeter. Klipsch TS believes its only the diaphram.

HELP?!?

Klipsch out

I think I get the idiot of the year award for this. I've been so careful doing things all this time that I lost sight on the most simple thing. After noticing the lousy sounding issue last night, not enough time and need for sleep put it off until this morning. Not enough time before leaving the house to do serious evaluation. Rushed home early just to deal with the problem, more POed than analytical. I could not imagine the problem might be with my preamp since it was checked at the factory just before I received it. I replaced every tube in my amps after finding little to no response from the one tweeter. Scurrying too fast to be methodical or thoughtful. With 27 year old speakers, it had to be the speaker. Wrong!

After sending the SOS, I sat dejected. After some moments of pondering, I lugged my Heresys downstairs and connected them. Same problem in one channel. Two speakers, no way. I then pulled and replaced every tube in the Cary. A bunk 12AU7, a Telefunken?? They are never supposed to go bad. Now it's on to the tube tester to find the one of two it has to be. I can't believe I did not do this earlier. Having things work well with no problems for too long spoils your ability to think through problems,..I guess?! DUH! Sorry for the false alarm. All should be well shortly.

Klipsch out.

PS. Kind of makes me want to do a overhaul of my speakers,.. just because....my luck with no failures can't last forever.

Just want to finish this off.

The problem was a bad GZ-37 rectifier tube. Considering the pair of GZ-37s were less than 9 months old they were my last suspect, and my tube tester was bought before the Moondogs, so no 5AR4 test setup. I am now using a pair of Amperex 5AR4s. A side bar to this problem was rolling my Cary preamps 12AU7 Telefunkens for Mullards I had previously used. There's a noticeable difference in the sonics of the Tele's and Mullards. More midrange richness from the Mullards, more low end extension from the Tele's. It's almost like having two different systems.

What a difference a tube makes!

Klipsch out.

Thanks guys, but replacing the rectifier brought the speaker back to life, or should I say that channel returned to life. Without a doubt I am going to slowly start gathering the spare parts needed just in case I have need for a serious overhaul of my Belles. At the moment "It's all good".

BTW, Klipsch wants $90 for a diaphram.

Klipsch out.