KG4 added to the stable.

So I purchased a pair of KG4 in Black over the weekend for the paltry sum of $180 CDN. Two of the woofer's dustcaps we slightly indented, only really visible with direct lighting. Enough to negotiate $70 off of the asking price though. The cabs are nice and airtight (pushing on the woofers makes the drone easily move) and have been well taken care of. I'm playing them now in the studio and am loving it!  No problems pressurizing the space with great dynamics and clarity, solid center image with nice width. Listened all evening to all sorts of different music without any fatigue. My Heresy Is are currently being "housed" at a dear friend's place, so I can't directly compare them. Evidently they are a different beast with an obvious upper hand in the bass. They will surely make another friend very happy indeed!

Daniel

• Like 1

If there's a (screened-in?) vent in the middle of the magnet, you can take a length of solid copper wire (#14 has worked for me), nicely round over the end, and gently prod the dust cap back into shape from behind.  You just feel around on the cap to determine where you're touching the backside with the prod and adjust the prod that way into the proper positions.  After a few gentle and judicious minutes you can have it back to the very high 90s percentile condition.

If it's the cap on the drone it doesn't matter (and wouldn't be possible to do anyway), but the driver's dust cap is likely responsible for at least some of the dispersion characteristics at the upper end of the driver's range, and you might think you hear a difference if you fix it, maybe.  This if you've got some time to putz...

Ray_pierrewit,

Thanks for this timely post and sharing your KG4 purchase.  I am also considering the KG4 as well as KG5 in the interest of space, to use along side our La Scalas.  I have read both outstandingly enthusiastic and somewhat underwhelmed responses to these speakers, where some have indicated the KG4 (or KG5) is sorely lacking in midrange response.  This description has not been my experience with any of the Klipsch speakers I have, and so am interested in what you think of them in comparison to the Heresy (which I am very familiar with).  I definitely prefer the clarity and bright and clean detail for which Klipsch is very well-known, and I suppose a bit uncertain (or maybe unconvinced) by reviews that characterize them as not having these hallmark characteristics.  However, I'm sure all of these reviews are providing honest opinions, and can respect and appreciate that fact.

With the understanding that this hobby is highly subjective, do you find the KG4s to be so heavy and strong in bass response that good midrange and treble detail is veiled and dull?

If you would share some of what you have found in that regard, I would appreciate it very much!

Thanks, erik

@erik2A3 I had KG 4s that I ran stock for a while then replaced the tweeters with titanium and had Bob rebuild the crossovers on.  I'd say they were probably the most neutral sound Klipsch I've ever owned.  Definitely solid bass output with proper placement due to the 12" passive radiator.

My ears vastly prefer the sound of a three way Klipsch.  I've had Quartets, forte I and II, Heresy I and II and a host of other Klipsch over the years.  To me my current 1983 Heresy I sound the best of all that I've mentioned above.

• Thanks 1

The titanium diaphragm has always made an improvement in sound in the speakers I've put them in.  I don't think any of the speakers I've had were old enough to have there be a night and day difference with crossover rebuilds.  I'm planning on replacing the leaking paper in oil caps in my Heresy soon.  With their age and the condition of their caps I would anticipate a noticeable improvement.

Forgot to add a pair of Chorus I to my previous list.

The RS is the surround series that matches the RF series.

8503a8d591908e4d20ad8f77d303e7b3_6350421

I've had original RF-7s also.  They'd be about the only non-Heritage speaker I'd consider getting again of all the models I've had over the years.