AXPONA spike question KHORN

JRS94

On 5/3/2019 at 8:26 PM, glens said:

But with the "podium", the tweeter moving forward could cause the cabinet to move backward instead (and the other way around) with the result being no sound emanating from the tweeter dome, but from the face of the cabinet instead.  No thanks!  

Please explain how such a narrow band wave like what High-frequencies have could possibly cause a tweeter to vibrate a speaker cabinet enough to move it back and forth and destabilize itself...it is actually JUST THE OPPOSITE...stabilization of the speaker keeps the BASS end of things from disrupting the tweeter function, but since the waves are so short and close together at the HF end of the spectrum, it would be even MORE likely to destabilize the mid-range drive function, INSTEAD of the tweeter function!.  Of course this possibility begins nullifying itself as the WEIGHT of the speaker increases..UNLESS the cabinet is extremely FLIMSY to begin with....like a house of cards!

It was tongue in cheek.  Did you watch that video?  The "podium" (which they were talking up) allows the cabinet to float freely (enough for the mass of a tweeter dome to move it, seemingly).  I'd sooner buy fancy speaker wire, and that ain't gonna happen.  Watch the video for a good chuckle.

11 minutes ago, glens said:

It was tongue in cheek.  Did you watch that video?  The "podium" (which they were talking up) allows the cabinet to float freely (enough for the mass of a tweeter dome to move it, seemingly).  I'd sooner buy fancy speaker wire, and that ain't gonna happen.  Watch the video for a good chuckle.

11 minutes ago, glens said:

Oh...OK...I saw the pic and immediately thought"MORE SNAKE OIL BULLCHIT...WHEN WILL IT EVER END?" So I blew off wasting my time watching the video...mostly because it would have interrupted my enjoyment of a very young Joni Mitchell back in her Winnepeg "Let's Sing Out" days!!

That is so wrong for so many reasons!!  Do a forum search for "grippers"

With something like K-horns, they NEED to be coupled...the room corner is a THREE-PLANE extension of the bass HORN LENS...walls and floor!  The heavier the speaker the more it needs to be coupled, providing the bass IS PRODUCED FROM THE BOTTOM PORTION OF THE CABINET!  Spikes are for use on CARPETED FLOORS to reach through the carpet and its pad to the floor underneath, to COUPLE the speaker to the floor!  The only benefit derived from "floating" a speaker is if it is bass-bottom-end shy to begin with...then you can get reverb from the corner behind the speaker to make it appear that the bass is deeper...but with fully-horn-loaded speakers, floating them is folly!  Almost nothing goes out the back of the speakers for reverb/reflective purposes, since horns are DIRECTIVE...with everything going out the front!

Just wanna say I really appreciate your use of CAPS! Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk