Quintets - Why Not THX?

VintageGold

It seems like these speakers are fairly similar to the Promedia 5.1s but are not THX certified. Anyone know why? Also, I was wondering if these would be good for a small theater. My room is only 12x17 and is pre-wired for front and rear surrounds as well as 2 subwoofer locations in the rear. I'm just having a hard time deciding what to put in it. I'm not looking to go overboard with the system but would like it to sound nice. Any advice and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

if your budget allows it i'd go with some bigger bookshelf speakers that will give you a fuller sound... it really all depends on your budget.

if you are willing to spend around 1000 dollars on speakers, you could go for the Synergy System Six, which will run you up 1 grand and has SB-1 one fronts, and appropriate surrounds/center.

Or, if you have a more flexible budget, some floorstanding SF-2s in front and SF-1s in rear would be a very nice setup...

orrrrrr

*twitch*

RF-7 FRONTS RC-7 CENTER RS-7 SURROUNDS DUAL CS ULTRAS DENON AVR-5802 WUHAHAHAHHAAHHA

*twitch*

if you were to mention your budget it would help a lot

They are not THX certified becaues they are home speakers, not computer/multimedia speakers. Multimedia speakers don't go through as rigorous of certification as do home theater speakers. either way, THX means little to nothing now-a-days for ANYTHING that comes into the home, except THX Certfified DVD's themselves, they still prove to show a difference.

I agree with JasNoob, I orginally wanted the quintets but after visiting this forum I went for the Synergy 6 system but upgraded to SB2s for the front, SC1 for the center, and The 12 inch sub. Although this is still considered a small system compared to the Refrence series it still sounds awesome and does not require much more space then the quintets. You can easily find the speakers for under 1000 but it will not be an authorized dealer which was what happen in my case. I recived everything quickly and was delivered by UPS. I couldn't have been happier. PM me if you want to know where I got everything. But rember it's hard to go wrong with Klipsch!

While the synergy sytem 6 is big jump in quality from the quintets it also costs significantly more. Instead of the quintet's I would go with JBL's NSP-1 package which IMO are far superior to the quintets. You can find them at Best Buy but can be found cheaper for $209 plus S&H at www.etronics.com

Check out this this guys site from HTF, it has tons of info and reviews on JBL speakers, you'll see many people favorably review the NSP-1:

http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra/

----------------

On 10/28/2002 1:53:57 PM fabulousfrankie wrote:

While the synergy sytem 6 is big jump in quality from the quintets it also costs significantly more.

----------------

Maybe I'm missing something, but the MSRP on the Quintet system, with the KSW-10 sub, is something like $800-900 if I recall correctly. The System 6, I think, is about $1000. They seemed pretty close in price to me for the improved sound. Just picking out www.sounddistributors.com, the Quintet is $575 and the System 6 is $699... with the 10" sub. (I'd suggest getting a 12" sub, BTW.)

DD

I am a new, licensed KLIPSCH installer and have access to the full line. I have sold a few of the Quintet systems and some commercial speakers as well (indoor & outdoor). I also carry JBL and a few others. The JBL's are good and do cost a little less (depending on the series). But, for the extra $$$ you get a better sound with the KLIPSCH. As for the Quintet versus the upgraded "6", yes - the "6" sounds better: more full range of sound. Check the specs on the Quintet sats. They can only cover so much ground in the way of freq. response. They do sound good; but, there is a lot of room for better.

• Like 1

So, from what I've read, the Synergy 6 would be better than the Quintets. Big question now: I listen music more than I watch movies(is 200 CD's a lot, I'm not sure), and it has been noted that the Synergy's are better for music. This being the case, would it be better to have a speaker like the SB-1's in the rear as well as the front, or should I stick with the SS-1 for rear speakers. You guys have been GREAT on this forum. (The gals too, if there were any. I'd hate to leave you out)

What is your opinion of the following

Denon AVR-3802 receiver

Denon DVD1600 DVD player

I'm only looking to spend between $2.5 and $3K on my system and have read MANY positive reviews about these 2 products. Again, personal opions and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

The debate over direct radiating (like SB-1s) or WDST (like SS-.5s) for the rears rages on and on. Since you are mostly a music buff, and I'm assuming you are looking at 5.1 music, I'd go for direct radiating SB-1s for the rears. Be aware, though, that they are rear-ported, and thus will need some space behind them to breath. You can mount them on the wall, like the SS-.5.

DD