Crossover to another approach (original 'AL' improved parts)

Erik Mandaville

For those who have done some work on upgrading and modifying their LS or K-horn networks, have any of you tried maintaing the original shematic (AA AL, etc.)but simply swapped out higher quality capacitors and coils? I can't help but think there may well be some sonic improvement in substituting original parts with same-value parts of better quality and build. For example, removing the oil-can capacitors and replacing with the correct value Solen or Hovland. The same could be done for the inductors, which to me look rather thin in terms of AWG.

Just curious if anyone has tried this before...

Thanks! (I have to learn how to include my system components with my posts)

Until this computer slow-poke figures that out, this is what I've got:

Sources:

Denon DCD 1015 CD Player

Restored Eico mono tuner

Nakamichi tape deck (becoming obsolete)

Technics DD turntable sporting Walco MM cartridge (great for $$$!)

Restored Heathkit AM tuner

Preamplification (built from scratch on unfinished aluminum boxes)

Bottlehead 'Foreplay' (design borrowed from George Wright) Heavily modified, using tube rectification and dedicated DC heater supply. With long cable runs to my amps, this is the preamp now in use due to its low output imedence cathode follower.

Eric Barbour's 'pocket' preamp (uses a single subminiature tube!) This was also from an article in Glass audio.

Bruce Rozenblit 'Line Stage', also from a Glass Audio

*sometimes I just switch out preamps for the fun of it -- to hear them 'work'

Amplfiers:

Welborne Labs Moondog (Mods: 5Y3 rectfifer, reduced 2A3 plate voltage, cheap mylar coupling capacitors, volume controls on both amps)

ASUSA K2003 (both amplifiers built from kits)

Speakers: La Scalas (1989)

Lowther PM2A Alnico drivers in Lowther-America Medallion cabinets

...I obviously need to make this a shorter list!

Erik,

Yes, absolutely! When I first joined this forum about two years ago, a fellow named Les Lammers, who has not been on here in a long time, put good parts in his networks. It was posts by him that started me think that maybe I could improve things even more. Maybe the stock Klipsch design was not the absolute gift from God on high! My network design was the result!

Al K.

Yes! I replaced the caps in my Type AAs and really enjoy the results. The tweeter cap change was quite noticible, but changing the squawker cap was inaudible to me. Upgrading the parts quality will improve the speaker's clarity while maintaining to original "voicing". I would NOT do this to a Type AL, as it is too complex and has inherent problems. Convert your AL to an AA or an AL-3 using high grade parts.

John