SVS pci 2531 vs pci 2039

elgrillo

Alright its been pretty much narrowed down to these 2. I am a bit hesitant to buy the 2039, because of the freaking size of the monster. It appears to be just like a black water heater. So I am wondering if I will hear a big difference between the two, especially when it comes to movies. By the way this is going into a bedroom 12x13 and paired with the klipsch RF3II package. I know that it is a huge over kill for the room, but I don't want to upgrade, since I plan on moving to a bigger place in the next couple of years though. Opinions and advice is what I need. Since I am planning on getting the RF3II set up today. By the way is $1350 a good price for RF3II RC3II and RS3II?

I'm also evaluating the SVS PCi 2039 and trying to decide between it and the HSU VTF-2. I don't know of any place to hear either of them. I can only go with what I've read on this site. So far, public favor is overwhelmingly with the SVS. I'm also intimidated by the size. Where the heck am I going to put the thing? Maybe I can make it into an end table - with attitude. 10.gif

I'm with Doug, go with the 20-39, you won't regret it!

All this talk about the size... It actually takes up less room than regular box subs, it's tubluar and works best in a corner, pretty easy place, you don't have to worry how much ground room it will take up. I like it a lot better than the Polk PSW-650 I had, that thing took up some room.

dk & others, i think it says a lot that tom of svs is also a klipsch owner, klf at that, & i think he designed subs w/ klipsch in mind. iow, they're loud. sounds like good quality bass to boot.

& dk no, you can't put anything on top unless its another sv sub, inverted in a way like Horned's tower of power. 3.gif believe the port is on top. not much surface area there anyway. 2.gif

boa12, you say the SVS subs are loud. Too loud? I'm assuming you can customized the levels to blend with the rest of your system.

For those SVS owners...

Are there any issues switching from movies to music? I could see wanting the bass in the forefront for movies and then maybe to take more of a not-so-much-in-your-face level when listening to music.

dk, your rf-3 are loud too - 98db @ 1W/1M. but that's why its a good idea to calibrate your sub level & speaker levels w/ a meter. so they're balanced. iow, you'll have a control to set the output level of the sub itself too.

as for the movie big bass, that's what the lfe (.1) channel is for. it is speced to have low frequecy effects to a sub at up to 10db over the other material level. & that's why its a seperate channel - so you can get those dynamic bass bursts to a capable sub w/o overloading your other channels/speakers.

I listened to both the VTF 2 and 2039pci before purchasing the 2039. The lower end was much more satisfying on the SVS and it seemed much quicker and more dynamic. At first sitting I thought the VTF was much smoother on music, but after using SPL meter and calibrating friend's SVS, found a very good, musical sub. Both have great price/performance ratios. IMHO the SVS was a hands down winner and would most likely be a better comparison with the HSU tubes. I have not auditioned the 2531.

Caveat - for music I found the ability to set the volume level by effect (hot for HT and softer for stereo) on the reciever extremely valuable in making a seamless transition from HT to music with the SVS. I imagine that without that automatic change I would get somewhat irritated at having to work to get a good sound when I change source. However, this may be true for both subs.

hwatkins hits the nail on the head. Some pre-amps/receivers have the ability to set the channel levels (channel volume) different depending on the source material, and then remember those settings and recall them automatically when you select that source.

On my Denon 3300, I run the sub about 3-4db hot when the DVD is the source and neutral when the CD changer is the source. Now, if you're using your DVD player to play CDs, then that could be a challenge. But that would be true of ANY powered sub.

DD

Hmm. I do play my cds from my DVD player - 5 DVD/CD carousel. I hope I can find a happy medium between my HT and music playing, so that the sub doens't run hot on the music. That's one of my biggest concerns with getting a sub. I don't want the bass to overpower the mids and highs when hearing music. Other suggestions welcome.

Has anyone, by any freak course of nature, auditioned both the 2531 pci, and 2039 pci? I would personally probably go with the 2039 but those 8 inches makes a huge difference. I made a cardboard cut out of the 2 subs, and man does it ever make a difference. The S.O will definetely oppose those 8 inches. But if I would DEFINETELY hear the difference between the two then I can battle it out for the 2039. Man this is a lot harder decision then choosing my main speakers. That was easy.

I listened to both the VTF 2 and 2039pci

Hello!!! You are comparing one product that is $150 more expensive than the Hsu. That is a 25% difference in price. You are also comparing one gigantic tube tuned to 20Hz vs. a much smaller box tuned to 25Hz. Obviously you will find one of them to play material below 25Hz better. Did you even compare in the same room? If you did not, then the comparison is flawed big time anyway.

The 25-31PCi can get slightly louder than the VTF-2. For almost everyone, a VTF-2 will provide ample output. In small to medium sized rooms, this wouldn't be much of an issue and these two subwoofers will sound very similar. VTF-2 has maybe a slight musical edge, PCi a slight HT edge. Both are fantastic bang for the buck products, and the decision to buy either one really depends on tastes.

Dear James -

Where did I misrepresent my view? Of course my review was flawed. If you want to go farther, I did not get to use the exact speaker configuration for each system nor for my final setup. On top of that I have the audacity to publically note a preference. Give me a break...

If you have the resources for a double blind testing environment more power to you. Most of us give it our best shot with the resources we have then we honestly relay our experience. I actually go quite the distance in looking at my options and audition as much as possible.

Finally - Some folks (even some that don't own a subwoofer) do claim the VFT 2 sounds better on all levels than a 2039pci - I got such comments when I reviewed my initial implementation. Quite honestly, My ears tell me that is not true - so I do make the comment on the comparison, even though there is (legitimately) a reason to class these subs differently.

Come to think of it your comment is right on - a flawed review from a flawed personality 6.gif

Gotta go - time to go listen to my flawed system (geez - my choice of a Denon reciever is now getting bashed) and deepen the depression. Audio used to be an escape - now it feels like a prison....